1.How to transform the winform to webform(webbrowser)? RRS feed

• Question

• 1.How to transform the winform to webform(webbrowser)?

Hello.
    I already had made the winform program for IBS.
    It is composed of the USERCONTROL on winform, C#.

I 'd like to transform this winform to webform for Webbrowser.

Someone said that you should use the Smartclient or AxtiveX...
    Someone said that It is the very old technical way and It's not good.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1.I'd like to know which is the best way that is easy to transform.
    (if there is very little code change in the recommended way, It's very good.)

2.Could I get the steps, samples, concept of the recommended way through the link address from you?

• Edited by Delight72 Wednesday, January 30, 2013 5:26 AM
    Wednesday, January 30, 2013 5:13 AM

Answers

• WinForms and WebForms differ very much in terms of maintaining state. With respect to business logic, I don't think there will be huge change. Also you can easily replace a Windows Form with a Page easily. However, you have to manually write the code for persisting the state of the objects.

Please mark this post as answer if it solved your problem. Happy Programming!

• Proposed as answer by Bob Shen Monday, February 4, 2013 3:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bob Shen Tuesday, February 5, 2013 10:24 AM
    Wednesday, January 30, 2013 5:49 AM
  • Hi Delight72,

The article below demonstrates a possible approach to achieving a transformation of Windows Forms UIs to ASP.NET Web Forms which may help you.

Converting WinForms => Web Forms using CodeDom

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/9307/Converting-WinForms-Web-Forms-using-CodeDom

Good day.

Bob Shen
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Proposed as answer by Bob Shen Monday, February 4, 2013 3:20 AM
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:00 AM
  • WinForms and WebForms is a complete different technology

With Winforms a user looks at its screen which is build up directly by your program. The user communicates using his keyboard with your program.

With WebForms a user looks at a screen which holds inside a browser a screen which communicate with the browser. At send (mostly a button but it can also be a return) the full screen is normally sent to the application running on the server for all users and there the form is processed and changes are sent back. (I avoided to write about asynchronous communication where a kind of form processing was simulated, which is also done). The process whatever you use with a WebForm means always, send data, process data, return data (where data can be a button which is clicked).

Late in 2002 there has been tries to simulate windows forms on the user computer, however that did fail because of all fraud and therefore security we got since then.

Success
    Cor

• Marked as answer by Bob Shen Tuesday, February 5, 2013 10:25 AM
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:33 AM

All replies

• WinForms and WebForms differ very much in terms of maintaining state. With respect to business logic, I don't think there will be huge change. Also you can easily replace a Windows Form with a Page easily. However, you have to manually write the code for persisting the state of the objects.

Please mark this post as answer if it solved your problem. Happy Programming!

• Proposed as answer by Bob Shen Monday, February 4, 2013 3:19 AM
    Wednesday, January 30, 2013 5:49 AM
  • thank you for your reply...

but, I have no experience about webform(Webbrowser). - a beginner level(but, I used the webservice technology at this project.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.I'd like to know which is the best way that is easy to transform.
    (if there is very little code change in the recommended way, It's very good.)

2.Could I get the steps, samples, concept of the recommended way through the link address from you?

Could I get the answer about these in detail?

• Edited by Delight72 Wednesday, January 30, 2013 7:00 AM
    Wednesday, January 30, 2013 6:59 AM
  • Hi Delight72,

The article below demonstrates a possible approach to achieving a transformation of Windows Forms UIs to ASP.NET Web Forms which may help you.

Converting WinForms => Web Forms using CodeDom

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/9307/Converting-WinForms-Web-Forms-using-CodeDom

Good day.

Bob Shen
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:00 AM
  • WinForms and WebForms is a complete different technology

With Winforms a user looks at its screen which is build up directly by your program. The user communicates using his keyboard with your program.

With WebForms a user looks at a screen which holds inside a browser a screen which communicate with the browser. At send (mostly a button but it can also be a return) the full screen is normally sent to the application running on the server for all users and there the form is processed and changes are sent back. (I avoided to write about asynchronous communication where a kind of form processing was simulated, which is also done). The process whatever you use with a WebForm means always, send data, process data, return data (where data can be a button which is clicked).

Late in 2002 there has been tries to simulate windows forms on the user computer, however that did fail because of all fraud and therefore security we got since then.

Success
    Cor

• Marked as answer by Bob Shen Tuesday, February 5, 2013 10:25 AM
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:33 AM