none
Not having any succcess attempting to update VB6 apps to later verzions of VS (2008/2013)

Question

• Hi,

Hopefully, this is the correct forum for this question/issue.

Let me be upfront, I am a rookie developer for my company working in the test department just finishing up my associate degree in Comp Science.  I work as a tester in the test department.  My company has tasked me with updating a number of VB6 apps used in testing.  DANG. Feels like someone stole the oars.

After looking into converting the apps to a newer version of VS,  I discovered many, many changes between VB6 and VS2008/VS2013.  Better to start from scratch and miss all the errors, messages and other issues in converting.  The original apps work well in VB6 code as expected but looking into VS2008/2013 a number of methods and calls are missing.

I apologize if the terms are not correct, I am still learning.

One of the first missing calls I discovered is Winsock.  I do not find anything comparable to Winsock in VS2018 or 2013. Most of what I need to update are testing apps used to verify information in units my company makes.  The apps connect to one(or more) units and we query the internal storage for data (tags, memory locations, etc ) in the unit or PCL.

I am using VS2008 and 2013 currently.  We use Ethernet to connect and transmit data.  I have looked at the System.Net information and attempted to use the IPAddress.Connect function to no avail.  Just get the errors and messages...

What am I missing?

Ed

Wednesday, March 01, 2017 8:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Ed,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

>> I have looked at the System.Net information and attempted to use the IPAddress.Connect function to no avail.  Just get the errors and messages...

Refer to this information, this issue is more relates to the development of VB.NET. Since our forum is to discuss Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor, it is better to redirect to the corresponding language development support forum to seek for a more professional support for your issue.

VB: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=vbgeneral

>> One of the first missing calls I discovered is Winsock.

As far as I know, the Winsock only support for Visual Studio 6. For VS 2013, you can have a look at this: System.Net.Sockets

If it not works as your expected, please redirect to the VB support forum and provide the detail error message that you meet in your VB projects, you will get a better support from there, thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by emse-00 Thursday, March 02, 2017 3:14 PM
    Thursday, March 02, 2017 8:07 AM