3.5 installs for user, not machine RRS feed

• Question

• User-703409046 posted

I've installed 3.5 .NET SP1 on several workstations logged on as an admin, but then only admins on the workstations can run apps that are dependant on SP1.  In the registry, it appears that only up to 3.0 is installed to the LOCAL_MACHINE, while the later versions are installed to the CURRENT_USER.  What does it take to force the install for the LOCAL_MACHINE?

Friday, November 6, 2009 3:05 PM

Answers

• User-1492568288 posted

Hi kamy

What is the specific problem you met?

You probably should run the application "run as Administrator" with UAC enabled (Vista or above versions).

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 3:36 AM

All replies

• User-1492568288 posted

Hi kamy

What is the specific problem you met?

You probably should run the application "run as Administrator" with UAC enabled (Vista or above versions).

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 3:36 AM
  • User-703409046 posted

When I install 3.5 SP1 .Net Framework as a local admin on the PC, I am able to run an app that requires that 3.5 SP1 so long as run the app with a user that has elevated privileges.  A user with limited access can not successfully run the app.

When I looked into the registry, I found that, unlike other PC's I have installed this on, the only place 3.5 shows up is under current user - IF I am logged on as that admin.  Otherwise, it only goes to 3.0 in local machine settings.  Several other PC's have the 3.5 under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled under different users now, and cannot seem to get the 3.5 installed to the machine.

Friday, November 13, 2009 11:47 AM
  • User-703409046 posted

OS is XP.  When I install the 3.5 SP1 .Net Framework, as a user with admin privileges, that user can use an app properly that requires 3.5 SP1.  Other users are not able to do so.

When looking through the registry, I see that 3.5 SP1 does not show up under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE settings, but _HKEY_CURRENT_USER - IF I am logged on as same admin.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled using several different users at different levels and cannot seem to get it installed to the machine. 

Friday, November 13, 2009 11:53 AM