How to add a desktop shortcut to a smart device CAB project RRS feed

• Question

• How do you add a desktop shortcut to a smart device CAB project? 

The desktop folder is in \Windows, but I haven't found a way to add this special folder so I can create a shortcut on it.

I found this link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/zcebx8f8(VS.80).aspx .  It tells how to create a shortcut, but not how to create a shortcut on the desktop...

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 2:49 PM

Answers

• To get a shortcut to the Windows desktop do NOT add the windows folder as a special folder.  Just create a new folder called Windows then a folder inside it called Desktop and copy your shortcut into it.

Sunday, December 14, 2008 2:47 PM
  • Hi,

I am not sure what you were trying to do exactly. What do you mean by “desktop shortcut”? If you need to put a shortcut in \Windows\Desktop, you can first add a special folder “Windows Folder” and then add a new folder named “Desktop” under it, after that you drag the shortcut into this folder. If I’ve misunderstood you please let me know.

Best Regards

Chunsheng Tang

Thursday, May 15, 2008 3:18 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I am not sure what you were trying to do exactly. What do you mean by “desktop shortcut”? If you need to put a shortcut in \Windows\Desktop, you can first add a special folder “Windows Folder” and then add a new folder named “Desktop” under it, after that you drag the shortcut into this folder. If I’ve misunderstood you please let me know.

Best Regards

Chunsheng Tang

Thursday, May 15, 2008 3:18 AM
  • I  guess you might want to create a home or today screen plugin. Then the following thread may help you:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3257607&SiteID=1

Monday, May 19, 2008 2:57 AM
  • To get a shortcut to the Windows desktop do NOT add the windows folder as a special folder.  Just create a new folder called Windows then a folder inside it called Desktop and copy your shortcut into it.

Sunday, December 14, 2008 2:47 PM
  • ugnud's solution is the right one. When i do it like warrentang says, the shortcut will be created into the 'Windows' folder. Thanks!

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 3:14 PM
  • Hi,

yde-vb is right. It only works when not using the Windows special folder.

It's really strange but it works now. I'm using a Windows Embedded Compact 7 device.

Even the Start Menu special folder does also not work.

Can anyone explain why it's not working like it should? Are there some missing updates in VS 2008?

Sadly, in the year 2016 one is tied to VS2008 for developing embedded applications for WEC7 with a brand new device - NordicId Medea.

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 8:46 AM
  • Hi shaper,

Unfortunately, while your device may be new, the OS it is running is actually quite old. In fact mainstream support has just ended https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?alpha=Windows%20Embedded%20Compact%207&Filter=FilterNO.  You may also notice that the previous post on this thread was from 2012.

For issues with Windows Embedded Compact 7 and related tools, you will need to work through the OEM of your device.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 6:00 PM
  • Hi IoTGirl,

thanks for taking the time for your reply.

Yes, you're right - the OS really is very old. The problem is, that many industry device manufacturers don't switch to newer operating systems. This is my experience with some devices, like Motorola (Zebra) and now also NordicId. So we as software developer are tied to this old stuff.

Regards

Sven

Thursday, May 12, 2016 10:16 AM
  • Hi Sven,

If NordicId used Compact 2013 you would be able to leverage the newer toolsets.  You are correct that their choice of using an older OS version ties them to the older tools.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Thursday, May 12, 2016 5:02 PM
  • Hi IoTGirl,

I would greatly appreciate if they can switch to a newer OS. Maybe even to Windows 10 Mobile or Handheld if it becomes available. In the meantime they can implement the already available WEHH 8.1.

I already talked to them and it seems that they're working an a new operating system. Hopefully Windows and not Android. ;-)

Regards

Sven

Friday, June 10, 2016 7:03 AM
  • Hi Sven,

Since Microsoft acquired Xamarin, Visual Studio does support Android development so you would at least be on the newest tools set. :)

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Friday, June 10, 2016 7:11 AM