tools for vs 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• hello.

There are some code tools free and not for vs 2003 vc++?

for code tool i mean for example a tool that segnalate in vs2003 the vars that are not used or a pointer without the p prefix (for example * pPointervar and not qPointervar )ecc...

If they don't exist how i can create someting like this with the extensibility?

I read about external tools that report with a line and a file in the output and error window a custom error extract from a c++ program.

How i can create somethings like this in c++ and extensibility?

Thanks
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 8:16 AM

Answers

• Hi Giuseppe

The language model extensibility APIs offered by Visual Studio currently don't give you enough detail to be able to analyze at this level -- you really want compiler level understanding of your code to do this kind of analysis, not just the text level. Also, a tool like this would probably want to be able to run from the command line, so it can be integrated into a command-line build as well as being run from Visual Studio.

In the world of managed languages, this kind of coding standard analysis can be done using FXCop. Unfortunately that tool doesn't support C++. There are a number of C++ static analysis tools available, some free and some commercial, that you might consider using as a starting point. I'd do a Bing search for "C++ static analysis" to begin that investigation.

I hope this helps...

Gary Horen
    Program Manger
    Visual Studio Platform

• Marked as answer by giuseppe500 Friday, June 3, 2011 12:57 PM
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 12:50 AM