none
Driver could not be migrated RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello all,

I'm trying to figure out what the event "Driver not migrated" means.  

I have a specialized audio driver for a piece of radio equipment that has been working fine in Win7 and Win10 but on one Win10 machine the driver reports the following events:

Device SWD\MMDEVAPI\{0.0.1.00000000}.{d9c77b29-14ad-4741-bb80-2c2a053e9a55} was started.

Device SWD\MMDEVAPI\{0.0.1.00000000}.{d9c77b29-14ad-4741-bb80-2c2a053e9a55} was configured.

Device SWD\MMDEVAPI\{0.0.1.00000000}.{d9c77b29-14ad-4741-bb80-2c2a053e9a55} could not be migrated.

Once these not migrated events happen the driver reports it is functioning normally but the radio software cannot access the driver.  This is an audio driver that is designed to pipe audio data from the radio between applications.

I do not have the source to the driver and I'm trying to assist the company that produces the driver with debugging as best I can.

I have Win10 on a laptop and this same exact driver is functioning just fine.  Yet on my desktop computer it was functioning and then just a day ago Win10 downloaded some major update.  I received the Win10, we installed updated, we've got some exciting new things for you, blah blah stuff on screen.  After that update this driver has ceased to function.

I have carefully removed the driver, uninstalled the application, rebooted numerous times and re-installed ensuring I have admin privileges and still end up in the same situation with driver could not be migrated.

Searching the web seems to show this problem exists with a number of other drivers for various sound cards, DVDs etc.  But nowhere is there a description of what the error means.  I'm wondering if a driver development pro here can shed some light on what "could not be migrated" means.  What is failing and how do we get to the point of understanding the root cause so the company can apply a fix.

Thanks in advance for any insights or input.

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 4:35 PM

All replies

• What does setupapi.dev.log say?

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 1:06 AM