Who can suggest a tool to make it easy to synchronize the requirement keys between TFS & Word RRS feed

• Question

• I have tried the tool TeamSpec, but it is not so easy to export all the keys in one time.

Who are using better tools?

Thanks!

Sunday, June 5, 2011 10:26 AM

Answers

• Okay, so you were asking about exporting keys, not importing requirements - that's different.

It actually is quite easy to do but doesn't handle complex situations. You can have the end user create the requirements document and then you can simply apply fields, using Team Spec, to various areas of the document and create a requirement work item type from it. Granted, it doesn't handle complex situations because work items are not meant to be replacements for complex requirements documents (which usually aren't good to work anyway).

No, you can't bulk import them but then there really is no tool which you can use to do that without writing a custom add-in for Word.

I hope that helps.

Jeff Levinson | ALM MVP
    Author, "Software Testing with Visual Studio 2010"
    Friday, June 10, 2011 4:17 AM

All replies

• So, I'm not sure what you are trying to do, but using Team Spec to do this is incredibly easy. To do it, do the following:

1. Create a team spec skin with just the ID

2. Run a query that returns every work item you want to export the ID for

3. Do a select all on the query results

4. Select skins > and select the skin you created in Step 1

This will output every requirement ID. You can put it in a table or wherever.

The other option would be to export every requirement ID to Excel and then copy and paste into Word.

Hope this helps.

Jeff Levinson | ALM MVP
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 4:05 AM
  • Hi Xiao,

Thanks for your post.

For this issue, Jeff provided us the detailed steps here, have you took them?

John Qiao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 9:11 AM
  • Dear Jeff,

Thanks for your reply.

yes, it is easy to export requirement from TFS to Word.

But it is not so easy to import requirement from Word to TFS :(

This is our concerning.

Xiao

Friday, June 10, 2011 1:30 AM
  • Okay, so you were asking about exporting keys, not importing requirements - that's different.

It actually is quite easy to do but doesn't handle complex situations. You can have the end user create the requirements document and then you can simply apply fields, using Team Spec, to various areas of the document and create a requirement work item type from it. Granted, it doesn't handle complex situations because work items are not meant to be replacements for complex requirements documents (which usually aren't good to work anyway).

No, you can't bulk import them but then there really is no tool which you can use to do that without writing a custom add-in for Word.

I hope that helps.

Jeff Levinson | ALM MVP
    Friday, June 10, 2011 4:17 AM
  • Dear Jeff,

Thanks.

We know now it is difficult to import requirement keys from Word to TFS (this means it not just like a button click)

Yes, it helps us!~

Best Regards,
    Xiao

Saturday, June 11, 2011 5:17 AM
  • Actually it should be possible to bulk import worddocument as long as the follow the same template/Layout/design.

I made an extension to the TCImport project on codeplex to bulk import test cases from word documuments, but the tecnich and possible the tool should be able to import any type of work item.

You can find posts on how to import test cases from word and the sourcecode for the tool at http://mskold.blogspot.com/search/label/Import%20Test%20cases

Saturday, June 11, 2011 8:41 AM
  • Dear Mattias,

Thank you for your reply.

I am sorry I can not access the URL you posted :(

Best Regards,

Xiao

Sunday, June 12, 2011 8:17 AM
  • Hi Xiao,

Thanks for your reply.

I can open that link in IE correctly, what’s detailed message in your IE when you tried to open it?

Have you took Jeff’s suggestion?

John Qiao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, June 13, 2011 2:51 AM