how to write an API library for user registration? RRS feed

• Question

• User-2039796023 posted

My boss asked me to develop an API library for user registration. I am planning to write it in C#,  compile it into DLL, and then give DLL to other groups to use it in a web (ASP.Net) application. 

Am I on the right track?  Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 8:29 PM

Answers

• User-389939489 posted

My boss asked me to develop an API library for user registration. I am planning to write it in C#,  compile it into DLL, and then give DLL to other groups to use it in a web (ASP.Net) application. 

Yes, I'd say you are. If this is going to be company-wise, you might think to deploy to the GAC rather than to every single project. The only suggestion I would add, though probably obvious, is that you also build a test client with it: that way you can test while developing and do regression testing in case any modification is needed.

Best luck,

-LV

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 8:00 AM

All replies

• User187056398 posted

You'll need more than a DLL won't you?  Like a database to store the info.

FYI:  There is already feature called Membership in asp.net

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms998347.aspx 

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 8:43 PM
  • User-1199946673 posted

And when you need  to create a custom membership provider using your own database schema, take a look at:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa479048.aspx

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 8:55 PM
  • User-2039796023 posted

Thanks.

The database is a 3rd party LDAP directory server, not Microsoft's Active Directory. I need to provide functions like register(userid, password), authenticate(userid, password), and etc..  These function will be written in C# and a DLL. Other teams are going to use C# or C++ to call it.

I don't need to provide the actual registration form or any front end pages. 

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 9:03 PM
  • User-389939489 posted

Yes, I'd say you are. If this is going to be company-wise, you might think to deploy to the GAC rather than to every single project. The only suggestion I would add, though probably obvious, is that you also build a test client with it: that way you can test while developing and do regression testing in case any modification is needed.

Best luck,

-LV

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 8:00 AM