Asp.NET application for facebook RRS feed

• Question

• User-1719671795 posted

Dear friends,

Is it possible to develop a web application for facebook using VWD 2008 Express edition? Because configuration and OS of my laptop do not suitable for VWD 2012...

Thanks in advance...

Saturday, March 22, 2014 6:02 PM

Answers

• User281315223 posted

There are a few options with regards to developing applications using ASP.NET and Facebook, however you may be limited with regards to how much you can utilize all of them with Visual Web Developer 2008. 

Facebook .NET SDK

I would recommend visiting the Facebook documentation for .NET (if you want to see some of the available .NET options for integrating Facebook) : 

It features a fairly straight forward walkthrough that can be found on the Getting Started area, which should have everything that you need to hook into Facebook to view and post content from your application and a few other examples that may be worth looking into. In addition - the Facebook SDK as I last checked requires a minimum of .NET 3.5, which Visual Web Developer 2008 should be able to target.

Facebook jQuery API

Facebook also features a jQuery-based API that can be used much like the previously mentioned .NET SDK and might be better suited to handle your particular situation : 

Another Consideration

Have you checked out to see if you would meet the requirements for using something like Visual Studio Express 2010, Visual Studio Express 2012 or Visual Studio Express 2013? These are all free editions offered by Microsoft and they might make this process much easier for you.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, March 23, 2014 9:08 AM

All replies

• User281315223 posted

There are a few options with regards to developing applications using ASP.NET and Facebook, however you may be limited with regards to how much you can utilize all of them with Visual Web Developer 2008. 

Facebook .NET SDK

I would recommend visiting the Facebook documentation for .NET (if you want to see some of the available .NET options for integrating Facebook) : 

It features a fairly straight forward walkthrough that can be found on the Getting Started area, which should have everything that you need to hook into Facebook to view and post content from your application and a few other examples that may be worth looking into. In addition - the Facebook SDK as I last checked requires a minimum of .NET 3.5, which Visual Web Developer 2008 should be able to target.

Facebook jQuery API

Facebook also features a jQuery-based API that can be used much like the previously mentioned .NET SDK and might be better suited to handle your particular situation : 

Another Consideration

Have you checked out to see if you would meet the requirements for using something like Visual Studio Express 2010, Visual Studio Express 2012 or Visual Studio Express 2013? These are all free editions offered by Microsoft and they might make this process much easier for you.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, March 23, 2014 9:08 AM
  • User465171450 posted

There's also a fantastic suite of ASP.Net controls for Facebook apps at: http://www.vatlab.com/

One thing to keep in mind, your facebook app must  be on a server with an SSL certificate to deploy it. That's a requirement Facebook initiated a year or two ago and that still bites people when they don't realise it and have deployed their app.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 4:29 PM