Secure PowerQuery queries RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

Is it possible to set up security in an Excel Workbook containing PowerQuery queries so that users can refresh the data from the existing queries (provided they have access to the source), but they are unable to modify the queries contained in the workbook?

Thursday, March 17, 2016 5:37 AM

Answers

• Hi Michelle,

>> Is it possible to set up security in an Excel Workbook containing PowerQuery queries so that users can refresh the data from the existing queries (provided they have access to the source), but they are unable to modify the queries contained in the workbook?

No, there is no direct way to achieve your requirement. For a workaround, I suggest you protect the workbook structure only instead of the whole workbook by Protect Workbook->Protect Workbook structure.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, March 18, 2016 2:48 AM

All replies

• Hi Michelle,

>> Is it possible to set up security in an Excel Workbook containing PowerQuery queries so that users can refresh the data from the existing queries (provided they have access to the source), but they are unable to modify the queries contained in the workbook?

No, there is no direct way to achieve your requirement. For a workaround, I suggest you protect the workbook structure only instead of the whole workbook by Protect Workbook->Protect Workbook structure.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, March 18, 2016 2:48 AM
  • I'll look into that. Thanks for your reply :)
    Wednesday, March 30, 2016 6:08 AM