none
UWF recommended settings RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

what are the recommended settings for a x86 system with 2/4GB RAM, an industrial SSD with 2 partitions D: (Protected by UWF) , D: unprotected for data ?

The SSD has hardware protection against power loss.

Now I have UWF on RAM (512 MB @2GB, 1024 MB @4GB) and no page file.
    This is the configuration with the minimal write access to disk.
    But after 2 ... 4 days UWF and Windows goes out of memory.

What are the recommended settings of UWF to get a longer up time?
    UWF with disk overlay (at C:) or RAM overlay?
    Additional page file?
    If pagefile: On protected C: or unprotected D: ?
    If the pagefile is on C:, have I exclude it manually or it is always excluded by UWF?

I assume, that the SSD protection against powerloss is working and the additional write access of disk overlay / page file will not damage the file system during power loss. And actual SSD have enough write cycles for some years.

Peter

• Edited by Peter Sp Tuesday, December 9, 2014 9:32 AM
    Tuesday, December 9, 2014 9:28 AM

All replies

• You responded to the memory leak issue with UWF - https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a048c499-6955-40ac-914c-dd06b85ea3d6/uwf-every-day-out-of-memory?forum=wes8

You can try a page file on C, but MS needs to fix UWF.

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 3:41 PM
  • Thanks. And have I exclude it manually or it is always excluded by UWF?

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 5:06 PM
  • I tried it out with pagefile ( and exclusion) at C:, but after enable of UWF the message is shown:

---------------------------
    System Properties
    Windows created a temporary paging file on your computer because of a problem that occurred with your paging file configuration when you started your computer.  The total paging file size for all disk drives may be somewhat larger than the size you specified.
    OK   

The location is D:\pagefile.sys.

So C:\pagefile.sys is not possibble.

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 5:52 PM
  • Is it possible that the pagefile location you specified is located on a media that is detected as "Removeable"? IFAIK pagefiles cannot be created on removeable media.

• Edited by Willi K Monday, December 15, 2014 9:04 AM Made question mor generic
    Monday, December 15, 2014 9:01 AM
  • Yes, pagefiles cannot be created on removeable media. But for this UWF problem you can use:
    - UWF Disk mode and no page file
    - UWF RAM mode and pagefile at second partition on the boot drive

• Edited by Peter Sp Monday, December 15, 2014 10:35 AM
    Monday, December 15, 2014 10:34 AM
  • The result for the system with 2 GB RAM & 512 MB UWF:
    no page file: Up Time ~ 24 h

2GB page file on D: (extra SSD drive for data) :  Up Time: 42 h and 54 h

Monday, December 15, 2014 10:47 AM
  • The 32 bit system  with 4 GB RAM & 1 GB RAM UWF and 3 GB Pagefile on D: is now up over a week.

And I have a feeling that the memory consumption is not increasing anymore. Task Manager show for a few days similar values:
    in use: 836 MB   Available: 2.1 GB
    Committed: 1.4/6.0 GB   Cached: 770 MB
    Paged pool: 487 MB   Non-paged pool: 49.4 MB

• Edited by Peter Sp Wednesday, December 17, 2014 3:02 PM
    Wednesday, December 17, 2014 3:00 PM
  • I have good results with UWF 1024 MB RAM and a fix pagefile with recommended size on D:.

The System with 4 GB RAM is now over 22 days up.

And also the up time of the system with 2 GB RAM, which was ~ 2 days with 512MB UWF RAM, is now over 5 days up with 1024 MB UWF RAM.

1024 MB RAM overlay size solve the memory leeak issue? Disk overlay I have not tried.
    Wednesday, January 21, 2015 7:37 PM
  • Hey Peter,

Is it really the case between UWF ram and physical ram installed?

I have many thin clients with 4 GB ram and UWF overlay memory set 2000 MB, bit after some days or some weeks that shows down in monitoring system even there is no reboot schedule is organized.

Is thin-clients UWF will not available up all the time why if we don't regular reboot?

How to calculate i mean what is the formula for Up time if thin client has 4 GB ram where 1 GB is video memory is assigned. But now i have created new image where one extra partition D which is not write filter protected and configured page file range from 4gb to 6 gb and change UWF ram is 1000 MB?

Please clarify my doubt first that it won't Up all the time and if not then why ? what is the reason i think that UWF ram got exceeded even some of the clients got low memory message after down.

Monday, September 3, 2018 2:32 PM