none
FSLogix not creating VHDX volume type RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, thanks for the great tips on this forum.

I've run into the following problem and hoping someone can help?

On an Isilon NAS, the storage admin created a SMB share and what appears to be the correct permissions. There is no problem creating containers based on vhd type. The client is Win10 Ent. GPO's and everything else is set, however:

• Even though the GPO is set to create containers of type VHDX, it falls back to VHD type
    • User can logon, speed is good, no issues
    • What is the reference below in the error to "parameter is incorrect"?
    • The NAS code level I think is good so it should not care if it is vhd or vhd(x) right?
    • Mounting occurs on Win10 and it should care less
    • The UNC share is formatted as NTFS as ReFS doesn't exist as an option
    • NTFS volumes does support vdhx file types right or wrong?

===== Begin Session:   Create Formatted Disk
    [15:41:31.891][tid:00000ff4.00001d40][ERROR:00000057]    VirtualDiskAPI::CreateFormattedDisk failed to create vhd(x): \\fs.eehealth.org\VDIUserProfiles$\203440test_S-1-5-21-4172916063-3269084850-1573934359-811360\Profile_203440test.VHDX (The parameter is incorrect.)
    [15:41:31.891][tid:00000ff4.00001d40][INFO]           ===== End Session:   Create Formatted Disk

Thanks for your help

Werner

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 9:57 PM

All replies

• You are correct Windows 10 should not have any problem with VHDX.  What version of FSLogix are you running?  There have been fixes in some of our later releases for a few issues like this.  Could you also share your config settings?  Are you using CCDLocations, or VHDLocations?
    • Edited by Brian Mann1 Thursday, October 24, 2019 7:48 PM
    Thursday, October 24, 2019 7:48 PM
  • Hi Werner,

Did you ever find a solution to this issue?

Thanks for your help,

Mike

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 11:05 PM
  • I would also like to know if you ever got this working. I'm currently troubleshooting a very similar issue on my own Isilon NAS, where the folders are created but neither a VHD nor VHDX are ever created. The behavior is the same on both the Profile and Office containers. I have verified permissions match what is listed at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/fslogix/fslogix-storage-config-ht many times now. I loaded the FSLogix tray to look at the log and it tells me the profile status is inactive (could not create virtual disk) which, yes, totally tracks with the behavior I'm seeing.

If I edit my GPO to switch VHDLocation to a Windows server share (with the appropriate permissions in place on said share), I no longer see the issue. The VHDX files are created as needed. The problem seems to be unique to the Isilon. 

-Nick O.

Monday, November 18, 2019 8:01 PM
  • Hi all, thanks for the great tips on this forum.

I've run into the following problem and hoping someone can help?

On an Isilon NAS, the storage admin created a SMB share and what appears to be the correct permissions. There is no problem creating containers based on vhd type. The client is Win10 Ent. GPO's and everything else is set, however:

• Even though the GPO is set to create containers of type VHDX, it falls back to VHD type
    • User can logon, speed is good, no issues
    • What is the reference below in the error to "parameter is incorrect"?
    • The NAS code level I think is good so it should not care if it is vhd or vhd(x) right?
    • Mounting occurs on Win10 and it should care less
    • The UNC share is formatted as NTFS as ReFS doesn't exist as an option
    • NTFS volumes does support vdhx file types right or wrong?

===== Begin Session:   Create Formatted Disk
    [15:41:31.891][tid:00000ff4.00001d40][ERROR:00000057]    VirtualDiskAPI::CreateFormattedDisk failed to create vhd(x): \\fs.eehealth.org\VDIUserProfiles$\203440test_S-1-5-21-4172916063-3269084850-1573934359-811360\Profile_203440test.VHDX (The parameter is incorrect.)
    [15:41:31.891][tid:00000ff4.00001d40][INFO]           ===== End Session:   Create Formatted Disk

Thanks for your help

Werner

We have seen an issue like this in the past on an Isilon NAS.  The issue was that our CCD product utilized an SMB feature that was not yet implemented on the Isilon.  When blocks filled with 0's are sent we try to use an optimized call that tells the storage to fill in the 0's rather than needing to be sent over the network. We did release a fix for this earlier this year in the 1907 release.  What build of FSLogix are you running?  Are you running with the CCD feature?

• Edited by Brian Mann1 Monday, November 18, 2019 8:17 PM
    Monday, November 18, 2019 8:17 PM
  • we have almost the same problem, with difference.

we have two RDSH(session host), on which the fslogix is installed, FSLogix 2.9.7205.27375.

Two SMB Storages are given in the registry value in CCDLocations connection string. The two SMB Storages are on different file servers, are used/shared for Profile Container. (Connection String is like " type=smb,connectionString=\\ShareFolderPath;type=smb,connectionString=\\ShareFolderPath")

After installation and configuration, a test-User logged in. Two VHDX-Files were created in shared folder of Profile Container on SMB. But the new created VDHX-files are with 0Kb, empty.

We have checked all configurations in registry, GPO, user access rights etc., all are configured according to the document of Microsoft.

do you know, what's the problem with the mounted files? and how can I solve it?

thanks for your help.

Thursday, November 21, 2019 9:28 AM