none
Tab Stop = No RRS feed

• General discussion

• Here's one I never understood. If I have a number of controls on a form and I set the last one's Tab Stop to No, then I would expect that hitting the [End] key would land focus on the last control where Tab Stop is set to Yes.  To the contrary, focus lands on the one where Tab Stop is set to No.  Same thing in reverse.  That is, if the first control's Tab Stop is set to No, hitting [Home] still lands focus on it...
    Saturday, September 19, 2015 9:38 AM

All replies

• Here's one I never understood. If I have a number of controls on a form and I set the last one's Tab Stop to No, then I would expect that hitting the [End] key would land focus on the last control where Tab Stop is set to Yes.  To the contrary, focus lands on the one where Tab Stop is set to No.  Same thing in reverse.  That is, if the first control's Tab Stop is set to No, hitting [Home] still lands focus on it...

Hi RunningMan,

A control with a TabStop = No can get the focus when clicked. Also when opening a form, a TabStopped control can get the focus. Apparently the TabStop accurately follows the Tab key, and [End] and [Home] are different from that.

I have no further explanation for that behavior.

Imb.

Saturday, September 19, 2015 9:19 PM
  • If you really need a work-around, you should be able to use the Form.KeyPreview property to allow the form to intercept keyboard events before controls, and then handle the form's KeyDown event to process the Home and End keys...

Edit: But now that I registered who posted this, I rather doubt you needed this advice!

• Edited by Gary Voth Sunday, September 20, 2015 7:55 PM
    Sunday, September 20, 2015 7:53 PM
  • If you really need a work-around, you should be able to use the Form.KeyPreview property to allow the form to intercept keyboard events before controls, and then handle the form's KeyDown event to process the Home and End keys...

Edit: But now that I registered who posted this, I rather doubt you needed this advice!

Na, don't need the advice, but thanks anyway.  This was just a subject for discussion and a hope that Microsoft might take a glance and decide to fix it one day.  Wishful thinking, I know...
    Sunday, September 20, 2015 9:11 PM
  • It's a good discussion to have, though this behavior probably dates back to the 1990s...

But who knows, maybe Microsoft will surprise us with some new desktop database features at some point.

Sunday, September 20, 2015 9:49 PM