DB OPERATION FROM ONE SITE TO ANOTHER RRS feed

• Question

• User206383436 posted

I am developing a web app which will be installed for different clients. Such an app has a maintenance interfase (insert, update, delete) that is the same for every single client and I think that it is a good idea to have a site for these maintenance interfase and to be able to connect to the different clients' databases to make the necessary operations with the information.

How can I achieve it?

Does it has to do with the connection string?
    If so, which parameters of the connection string should I consider to modify? I guess that the "host" parameter is one of them but, is there any other?

Respectfully,
    Jorge Maldonado

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 5:48 PM

Answers

• User-1199946673 posted

* A web site for the maintenance interfase where I would select the database to connect to.

When users login, retrieve the connectionstring from their domain database and store that in a session variable. Then use that session variable to make database connections, instead of retrieving the connectionstring from web.config.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 2:37 PM

All replies

• User-1149223197 posted

I have a similar requirement in the app I'm currently working on. I'm using ADO.NET Data Services to solve it. I know there's a screencast out there as well, but for the life of me can't find it right now.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 7:01 PM
  • User-1149223197 posted

Nevermind, found them. They were buried under the "Learn" tab at MSDN. 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/data/cc745957.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/data/cc974504.aspx

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 7:07 PM
  • User-1199946673 posted

Such an app has a maintenance interfase (insert, update, delete) that is the same for every single client and I think that it is a good idea to have a site for these maintenance interfase and to be able to connect to the different clients' databases

I don't think it is a good idea. Just use 1 database, and in each record, add a reference to the client it belongs to, and only show clients the records that belong to them...

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 7:13 PM
  • User206383436 posted

Every client has its own domain name and its own server, so its own separate database and its own web site. The DB's have the same schema and they are the same type; all of them are SQL Server or all of them are MySQL or any other brand. The main maintenance interfase is exactly the same for every database and I would not want to have a copy of such an interfase in each web site because, if there is a change I will have to update all of the sites. On the other hand, if I have a centralized interfase that connects to the different sites/databases and a change is made to the interfase I will only have to update one place. So, I see this situation as follows:

* A web site for each client with its own database/domain name and additional functionality.
    * A web site for the maintenance interfase where I would select the database to connect to.

With respect,
    Jorge Maldonado

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 12:17 PM
  • User-1199946673 posted

When users login, retrieve the connectionstring from their domain database and store that in a session variable. Then use that session variable to make database connections, instead of retrieving the connectionstring from web.config.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 2:37 PM