VB PDF viewer samples for Windows 8.1

Question

• Are there any sample around for PDF viewers for Windows 8.1 in VB? Microsoft hasn't provided one in this language (only C#, C++ and Javascript) and I don't want to go through the process of converting code from another language as I find lengthy and problematic.
    Thursday, May 22, 2014 2:20 PM

Answers

• You can find the official samples in the code gallery. As you note they are not currently available in VB so you'll need to convert. Note that some functionality will requiring interop to C++ and DirectX, although you can achieve basic features in VB.

There are automated C# to VB converters you might want to toke a look at. They aren't perfect, but should give you a head start. I would strongly recommend picking up a reading knowledge of C# since that is what most people use and so most discussion is in that language. C# and VB are quite similar with just a few basic syntax differences in common use. If you learn event handlers and variable and function declarations you should be able to read most of what you'll run into.

--Rob

Thursday, May 22, 2014 3:08 PM
    Owner

All replies

• You can find the official samples in the code gallery. As you note they are not currently available in VB so you'll need to convert. Note that some functionality will requiring interop to C++ and DirectX, although you can achieve basic features in VB.

There are automated C# to VB converters you might want to toke a look at. They aren't perfect, but should give you a head start. I would strongly recommend picking up a reading knowledge of C# since that is what most people use and so most discussion is in that language. C# and VB are quite similar with just a few basic syntax differences in common use. If you learn event handlers and variable and function declarations you should be able to read most of what you'll run into.

--Rob

Thursday, May 22, 2014 3:08 PM
    Owner
  • OK thanks Rob
    Thursday, May 22, 2014 6:06 PM