What is the reason that a pentium 4 3.0 behaves as a 1Core/2Thread RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently implemented the .NET Framework: v4.0.30319 download on this PC and now this PC behaves as a 1Core/2Thread. The performance is also very slow.

For more details goto: http://users.telenet.be/nicvroom/performanceP4.htm

Two questions: How do I change the 1C/2T back to 1C/1T

What do I have to do in order to run VB 2010 on this PC

Friday, January 14, 2011 11:11 AM

Answers

• What happens if you remove .NET Framework 4.0? Does your PC's performance return to normal?

• Marked as answer by Nicolaas Vroom Sunday, January 16, 2011 10:44 PM
    Friday, January 14, 2011 2:15 PM
  • Sorry, I must have misinterpreted your meaning in "performance is also very slow" as overall machine performance.

If you are saying that only VB 2010 programs are slow and that the machine performs as before installation of .NET Framework 4.0 otherwise, that's a different matter.

Your task manager image appears to indicate that installing .NET Framework 4.0 caused the processor type to change as recognized by the OS? Unfortunately, I don't have any hardware here older than a Core 2 Quad (unafected by .NET 4.0 installation), so I cannot attempt to replicate your scenario.

Sorry for the inconvenience. 

• Marked as answer by Nicolaas Vroom Sunday, January 16, 2011 10:45 PM
    Friday, January 14, 2011 4:46 PM

All replies

• What happens if you remove .NET Framework 4.0? Does your PC's performance return to normal?

• Marked as answer by Nicolaas Vroom Sunday, January 16, 2011 10:44 PM
    Friday, January 14, 2011 2:15 PM
  • Suppose I remove . NET Framework 4.0

Does Microsoft have a different way to help me to execute VB 2010 programs ?

Are there more people who have observed that there pentium 4 behaves like a 1C/2T ?

Did you study the picture of the Task Manager ? Did it look odd ?

Friday, January 14, 2011 4:24 PM
  • Sorry, I must have misinterpreted your meaning in "performance is also very slow" as overall machine performance.

If you are saying that only VB 2010 programs are slow and that the machine performs as before installation of .NET Framework 4.0 otherwise, that's a different matter.

Your task manager image appears to indicate that installing .NET Framework 4.0 caused the processor type to change as recognized by the OS? Unfortunately, I don't have any hardware here older than a Core 2 Quad (unafected by .NET 4.0 installation), so I cannot attempt to replicate your scenario.

Sorry for the inconvenience. 

• Marked as answer by Nicolaas Vroom Sunday, January 16, 2011 10:45 PM
    Friday, January 14, 2011 4:46 PM
  • Thanks for your answers.

I have removed the two .NET Framework 4 programs.

First the "Extended", that did not show any change in behaviour.

Second the "Client Profile" was removed. After that the VB 2010 programs could not be run. The performance of the program Planet3Dsimple (VB 5.0) was not expected. After roughly 1 minute it decreased to roughly 50% performance. (But roughly 4% better) The task manager display still looks like a 1C/2T.    Apparently .NET 4.0 installation is not the cause. That is the good news.

The question to ask is what to do to change it back to a 1C/1T

If there is a solution than maybe I can try again to instal .NET 4.0

Saturday, January 15, 2011 1:40 PM
  • When you study: http://users.telenet.be/nicvroom/performanceP4.htm you can see that I test 2 Pentium 4's. One is a 2.8 and one is a 3.0.

What I did not know 1 week ago that apparently the first is a 1C/1T and the second one is a 1C/2T.  The problem is that the performance of the 3.0 is roughly 50% of the 2.8. This has nothing to do with the above mentioned download.

My question is that I want to change my 1C/2T into a 1C/1T.  Maybe MSconfig is the answer but I doubt it is.  Maybe someone can help me, but I doubt if this Forum is the right one.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 4:04 PM