General test agent questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi :)

test agent = load agent, right?

I've created an Load and Coded UI test for my SharePoint homepage. How many test agents do I need? I think 2000 virtual users per test agent and only 1 Coded UI test per test agent. Is this also correct?

And do I have to install the same software on the developer pc as on the test agent? In my case Virtual Studio and SharePoint?

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 9:05 AM

Answers

• You will only need to install the test agent on the agent machine. The test agent is the load agent. Only ine test agent can be installed on 1 machine. And you can run a coded UI test with only 1 virtaul user per test agent. So if you need to run with 2000 virtual user, you will need 2000 machines with test agent installed which is a limitation for coded ui test. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff468125.aspx

The better alternative for load tests is using web tests where you dont have a limitation of 1 VU per test agent.

Thanks,

Anuj

http://www.anujchaudhary.com

Thursday, September 6, 2012 12:43 AM

All replies

• You will only need to install the test agent on the agent machine. The test agent is the load agent. Only ine test agent can be installed on 1 machine. And you can run a coded UI test with only 1 virtaul user per test agent. So if you need to run with 2000 virtual user, you will need 2000 machines with test agent installed which is a limitation for coded ui test. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff468125.aspx

The better alternative for load tests is using web tests where you dont have a limitation of 1 VU per test agent.

Thanks,

Anuj

http://www.anujchaudhary.com

Thursday, September 6, 2012 12:43 AM
  • The better alternative for load tests is using web tests where you dont have a limitation of 1 VU per test agent.

Hi Anuj :)

One moment, please. I thought, that 1 Coded UI Test needs 1 Test Agent per VU?
    But if I use a web test together with a load test I can simulate 2000 users per 1 Test Agent?

I would take 2 test agents. One for a Coded UI test and one for Web (performance) + Load test with a number of 2000 VU.

Yours sincerely

Sebastian

Thursday, September 6, 2012 7:03 AM
  • Hi Sebastian,

The coded UI test added to the load test has this limit when we run it remotely, only 1 virtual user can run coded UI tests per agent.

The Test Virtual User Pack 2010 licenses includes 1000 users. For example, if you purchase 7 of the Visual Studio Load Test Virtual User Pack 2010, you can now run concurrent load tests that together use up to 7000 user licenses.

Reference:

Managing Your Virtual User Licenses for Load Testing with a Test Controller

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, September 6, 2012 7:19 AM
  • Hello Jack,

yes, but I don't want to add the coded UI test to the load test or that nonsense?

I want a webperformance test added to the load test with 2000 VUs on 1 test agent

and I want a single coded UI test on another test agents.

1. Is that ok?

2. I will use Visual Studio 2012 and that has no VU restriction.

Thursday, September 6, 2012 7:33 AM
  • Hi Sebastian,

How many machines did you have? How did you want to run the two tests? Run them at the same time or separately?

PC1: VS and Test controller

PC2: Test Agent1 to run the load test

PC3: Test Agent2 to run the Coded UI test

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

Thursday, September 6, 2012 7:48 AM
  • Hi Jack,

can I have the build controller, build agent, test controller AND one test agent on the same machine?

I'm not sure how to run the tests. Is it possbile to run several tests from a build definition at the same time on several agents?

Greets,

Sebastian
    Thursday, September 6, 2012 8:20 AM
  • Hi Sebastian,

I’m not very sure, since the Build Controller/Agent is different from the Test Controller/Agent, but you could post a new issue in the TFS-build forum for the Build Controller and Build Agent issue.

As my understanding, we could run a load test with different Test agents one time, but it seems that we could only run a coded UI test with one Test Agent one time

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

Thursday, September 6, 2012 8:33 AM
  • Hi Jack,

thanks a lot, I will do that later :)

Thursday, September 6, 2012 8:41 AM
  • You're welcome! J

If possible, please make the answer if any replies could help :)

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

Thursday, September 6, 2012 8:44 AM