restore database xxxx

from disk='path\backupfilename'

with

move 'datafile' to 'newpath\filenaem',

move 'logfile' to 'newpath\logfilename',

replace,recovery

database created but say in restoring mode. There is error:

Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.
    Msg 5243, Level 22, State 6, Line 1
    An inconsistency was detected during an internal operation. Please contact technical support.

How to resolve this issue?

Thanks

Thursday, November 1, 2012 5:16 PM

Answers

• Sounds like the file is corrupt.  Therefore, it cannot be used.
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 7:06 PM
  • That would indicate it is having issues reading the backup.  Either the backup is bad, or are you trying to restore from a network drive?  I would move it to a local drive.

As Scott said, try HEADERONLY and see if it is successful.

Thursday, November 1, 2012 7:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Can backup taken on:

Version - Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (SP3) - 10.0.5500.0 (Intel X86)   Sep 22 2011 00:28:06   Copyright (c) 1988-2008 Microsoft Corporation  Express Edition with Advanced Services on Windows NT 5.2 <X86> (Build 3790: Service Pack 2) (VM)

restore on:

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (SP3) - 10.0.5512.0 (X64)   Aug 22 2012 19:25:47   Copyright (c) 1988-2008 Microsoft Corporation  Standard Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 <X64> (Build 7600: ) (VM)

Cannot restore. Need your help?

Thanks

Thursday, November 1, 2012 5:23 PM
  • Yes.  You can restore a backup from an older version to a newer version.  But not the other way around.
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 5:30 PM
  • Thanks Tom for reply.

I am getting following error when try to restore:

Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    RESTORE DATABASE is terminating abnormally.
    Msg 5243, Level 22, State 6, Line 1
    An inconsistency was detected during an internal operation. Please contact technical support.

Thursday, November 1, 2012 5:38 PM
  • Are you trying to restore a system database?  Can you post the exact restore statement you are trying to execute?  Can you run the following and report the results (subtituting your path & file names obviously)?

RESTORE HEADERONLY
       FROM DISK='D:\sql2k5\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Backup\20121101_am.BAK'
    GO

Thursday, November 1, 2012 6:11 PM
  • I tried to restore on another server, but same error.

Thursday, November 1, 2012 6:42 PM
  • When I run above command:

Under backup name it shows ****INCOMPLETE****

under all other fields shows NULL

Thursday, November 1, 2012 7:01 PM
  • Sounds like the file is corrupt.  Therefore, it cannot be used.
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 7:06 PM
  • That would indicate it is having issues reading the backup.  Either the backup is bad, or are you trying to restore from a network drive?  I would move it to a local drive.

As Scott said, try HEADERONLY and see if it is successful.

Thursday, November 1, 2012 7:40 PM
  • pls. check the file extension of backup file 

i've seen backup files without .bak extension (make sure you uncheck hide file extension of known extension type,  from folder options)

to restore this rename and add .bak extension and then do restore.

Sarabpreet Singh Anand

Blog , Personal website

This posting is provided , "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, November 1, 2012 10:03 PM
  • i think the file is corrupted, do a restore verify and double check

Sarabpreet Singh Anand

Blog , Personal website

This posting is provided , "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, November 1, 2012 10:04 PM
  • You can try with below options-

1.Try to get in touch with OS or SAN team is there any problem with I/O subsystem

2.You try to restore to other any test server and see is the same problem persists..

before trying 2 one, try to check file valid or not.. see below-
    restore verifyonly from disk='C:\test.bak'   --here you need to replace the actual drive and path i,e where you have saved the Backup file

If the output file contains "The backup set on file 1 is valid" -->it gives information that Backup file is valid one, If not then it might be corruptions exists then you might
    take another fresh backup also I would like to say before taking the full backup try to run DBCC CHECKDB  against to it.

Additional information
    ----------------------------------
    if you want to see how many db files exists on the Backup file then perform the below operation-
    restore filelistonly from disk='C:\test.bak'  ->--here you need to replace the actual drive and path i,e where you have saved the Backup file

Rama Udaya.K ramaudaya.blogspot.com ---------------------------------------- Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help.

Friday, November 2, 2012 5:11 AM
  • Hi DBA_LEARNER,

From the error message, it indicates the backup failed, it would not succeed to restore a database with a failed backup. Please back up the database again, after finishing this successfully, please restore the database with the backup file. For more detail information, please refer to the following link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290787

Allen Li

TechNet Community Support

Friday, November 2, 2012 9:43 AM
  • Most likely the backup file is corrupt. Ask the one who produced that file to give you a new backup file.

Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP | web | blog

Friday, November 2, 2012 10:44 AM