none
Make % complete change finish date RRS feed

• Question

• I have been trying to figure out how to make my task % dependent instead of duration dependent.  Right now if I have a duration of 10 days initial and a finish date of February 20 and get ahead of schedule and am 75% complete in 2 days, the finish date will not adjust.  I have changed all of the fields that I think make sense.  Can someone help me with this issue?
    Friday, January 20, 2017 2:37 PM

All replies

• Frank512,

Sure. There are a couple of things you need to set up. For your scenario, 10 day task with a finish of 1/20/17, I assume you are using the default Standard calendar and that means the start date for the task would be 1/9/17.

First you need to set a status date. There are a couple of ways to set the status date but the easiest is Project > Status group and click on the Status Date icon. In your case, you want to status 2 days after the task start, so set the date at 1/11/17 (by default status is at the beginning of a day so by setting it to 1/11/17 it will show status as of beginning-of-shift on 1/11/17)

Second, you need to set a couple options. Go to File > Options > Advanced tab. Near the bottom, set these two options: "move end of completed parts after the status date back to the status date", "And move start of remaining parts back to the status date"

Third, you probably want to add some fields to your Gantt Chart view (see screen shot).

The first screen shot shows the 10 day task with a resource assigned. For this example we'll assume the task isn't that big and the resource is only expected to work on it a few hours each day. So, the setup looks like this:

Now we're ready to update the task. We find out Bob is not working on anything else so he spends full time on the task such that after two days, he's about 75% done. His 16 hours is entered into the Actual Work field. Note that, with the options set, the status date set and the actual work entered a couple of things happen. First, although the percent complete only shows 46%, the percent work complete shows 76%. I could have entered 75% into the Percent Work Complete field but it's better practice to enter work values since percent complete is subjective while actual work is not. Second, the task duration is drastically reduced, from 10 days to less than 5 days and as a result the finish date is moved back to 1/13/17.

Hope this helps.

John

Friday, January 20, 2017 5:23 PM