Suggestions RRS feed

• General discussion

• I've been testing out Small Basic and I must say it is excellent. I have a few suggestions.

1) Add the functionality for exporting the program with your own options (like in Visual Basic 2008).
    2) Add the functionality for changing the program's icon when exporting it.
    3) Add the functionality for changing the program version when exporting it.
    • Changed type p.d.khumara Tuesday, August 25, 2009 6:48 PM no question raised
    Monday, August 24, 2009 8:51 PM

All replies

• your own options : which options, exactly ?
    Fremy - Developer in VB.NET, C# and JScript ... - Feel free to try my extension
    Monday, August 24, 2009 9:48 PM
  • Could you change this post to a Discussion, not a Question (see Edit). Normally, questions should be only used when the thread need a response.
    Thanks a lot, Fremy
    Monday, August 24, 2009 9:49 PM
  • 1] An executable (*.exe) is created in the same directory as the saved code (*.sb) when the code is run (compiled).  Assuming .Net (3.5 SP1) is available on a destination machine, all that is needed to be copied is the executable and the SmallBasicLibrary.dll.  It is also possible to 'Publish' and 'Import' to the web using the interface so others can share your code using SB (a unique ID is given for each published code).

2] The icon idea may be of interest, since it should be easy to use and visually interesting - alternatively I would think an extension could be written for this.

3] With regard to the version of your code, it is up to you to take care of this.  The idea is to keep the SB interface as clean as possible - there were discussions on this forum about having or not having a 'Save As' functionality so VB style project options are unlikely.  You can always 'Save As' ...program-v1.sb, program-v2.sb etc.

PS, there is a general discussion thread for bugs and suggestions, with an emphasis on ideas that make it easy and intuitive to use for beginners rather than growing the interface and language.

Bugs and Suggestions (v0.6 to v0.7)

Monday, August 24, 2009 10:07 PM
  • 2] The icon idea may be of interest, since it should be easy to use and visually interesting - alternatively I would think an extension could be written for this.
    No extension could provide this, though. The icon of a *.exe must be compiled. We could write an alternative compler (it's what I did for the extension creator) but I don't think it would be a good solution.

A good thing would be to introduce compiler-commands in Small Basic (like header)

''' ProgramIcon: C:\Docs\Icons\Icon1.ico
    ''' ProgramVersion: 1.0
    ''' ProgramCopyright: @ FremyCompany, 2009

[My Small Basic Program]

This would not introduce any new GUI or any language complexity, but it would add support for some new "optional" features...
    Monday, August 24, 2009 10:12 PM
  • Fremy,

An interesting idea - see what people think.
    Monday, August 24, 2009 10:21 PM
  • Fremy,

An interesting idea - see what people think.

What is good with that, is that it nicely degrade in older version, because it's recognized as a simple comment.
    Monday, August 24, 2009 10:22 PM
  • Another useful Meta Data.

''' ImportedFrom: OOP321
    ==> When exported, it could be used to save to OOP321-0. Currently it's only the case if you just imported it and you didn't close the program once.

''' LastEditTime: 3 March 2010 at 8:53 PM
    ==> Auto added to the file, to flag last edit
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 11:49 AM