Number of Test Cases Run in Load Test RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

VSTS Version: 2012
    Browser: IE 9 (I am mentioning it just for WPT recording purpose I know that WPT works on HTTP Layer)

Scenario: Launching the Application, Login and Logout (Execution time of all three WPTs are different not same)

WPT Count: 3
    Test Mix Model: Sequential
    Users: 25
    Iteration: 90
    Think Time: Zero

I am confused about Total Number of Test Cases ran by Virtual Users. How VSTS 2012 is counting total number of test cases to run and how is it dividing in between the selected WPTs that which will run how many times. I found it random and I am not able to get the exact formula with the help of which I can configure my load test to replicate the desired load.
    My calculation says that in above configuration it should run total 270 (iterations * WPTs/UTs/CUTs) test cases but I always found different results in Load Test Reports.

Thanks
    The Ghost
    Friday, May 3, 2013 11:02 AM

Answers

• Hi Ghost,

As my understanding, your view is correct:)

Test Iterations: Specifies the total number of individual tests to run before the load test is complete. This property only applies when the property "Use Test Iterations" is True.

Use Test Iterations: If Use Test Iterations is True, then the load test runs until the number of individual tests completed within the load test reaches the number that is specified by the "Test Iterations" property. In this case, the time-based settings, which are Warm up Duration, Run Duration, and Cool-down Duration, are ignored. If "Use Test Iterations" is False, all the timing settings apply, and "Test Iterations" is ignored.

Reference:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff406976.aspx

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, May 6, 2013 9:54 AM

All replies

• Hi Ghost,

My calculation says that in above configuration it should run total 270 (iterations * WPTs/UTs/CUTs) test cases but I always found different results in Load Test Reports.

If you set your iteration=90, it should run total 90 test cases.

For example, I try to run a load test like the following configuration.

WPT Count: 5

Test Mix: Test mix based on sequential test order

Users: 5

Iteration: 100.

I could get the result like the following screen shot.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Sunday, May 5, 2013 6:29 AM
  • Thanks Jack :-)

It means Iteration = Total Number of Test Cases to run. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks
    The Ghost

Monday, May 6, 2013 8:56 AM
  • Hi Ghost,

As my understanding, your view is correct:)

Test Iterations: Specifies the total number of individual tests to run before the load test is complete. This property only applies when the property "Use Test Iterations" is True.

Use Test Iterations: If Use Test Iterations is True, then the load test runs until the number of individual tests completed within the load test reaches the number that is specified by the "Test Iterations" property. In this case, the time-based settings, which are Warm up Duration, Run Duration, and Cool-down Duration, are ignored. If "Use Test Iterations" is False, all the timing settings apply, and "Test Iterations" is ignored.

Reference:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff406976.aspx

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

Monday, May 6, 2013 9:54 AM
  • Thanks Jack :-)

It helped.

Thanks
    The Ghost
    Thursday, May 16, 2013 8:38 AM