none
Architecturer Explorer: Sequence Diagram and Interface call Issues RRS feed

• Question

• I'm generating sequence diagrams from the current application in Visual Studio 2010. The application has different layers. Each layer is abstracted well to do the unit test with dependency injection. In the layer A, I clicked a method in a class and initiated "generate sequence diagram" option. The sequence diagram is created which shows the call to the layer B. The problem is that it just stops there and does not show the interaction to layer C or layer D. This is because the layer B is injected via dependency injection to layer A as Interface. It does not look for the implementation.

How can I generate the sequence diagram that shows the calls all the way to the last layer which is layer D? One option I have is to change all the interfaces to concrete classes. Is there a better way?

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 1:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Sorry, but the Sequence generation uses static code analysis to analyze dependencies within your software.  Like you said you could change your code to use concrete implementations, or you could generate partial diagrams from each area, then copy/paste them back together at the injection point. 

Thanks,
    Mark

Mark Groves | Program Manager | Visual Studio
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 9:22 PM
  • I used the interfaces to concrete classes and I was able to generate the diagram.

Another issue I have noticed is that the image re-sizes to 50% when copying a large sequence diagram to an application like paint. I could not get the image of the exact size.

Thursday, May 12, 2011 11:28 PM
  • Are you just doing Ctrl-A Ctrl-C then Paste into Paint?  Are you doing this on a Virtual Machine or a physical machine?

Thanks,

Mark

Mark Groves | Program Manager | Visual Studio
    Friday, May 13, 2011 4:51 PM
  • I'm doing this in the Physical Machine. I clicked 'select all' from the menu and copied to the paint application. I did not find a way to export the diagram to a different format. I tried cuteftp to save as pdf. But the quality is very poor.

I want to send the sequencediagram files to few people, but they don't have the ultimate edition. What is my option?

Sunday, May 15, 2011 12:45 PM
  • Here are some options for sharing sequence diagrams:

How to: Export Images of Diagrams, for example, you might try the XPS option to view the diagram in a browser.

Reading Models and Diagrams in Other Visual Studio Products

Esther Fan | Visual Studio, Content Lead | If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and mark as Helpful. Thanks!
    Monday, May 16, 2011 5:41 PM