Nested Master Pages RRS feed

• Question

• User-956690817 posted
    I tried to do the video tutorial how do I create nested master pages in Visual Studio 2008

I have VS2008 standard editon with 3.5 SP1 and I dont have any of these templates

nor can I find them any where for download or install them or did they do away with the idea of nested master pages with 3.5 sp1 any Ideas

Thursday, October 23, 2008 3:06 AM

Answers

• User-1167255018 posted

Hello There,

you are almost there, 2 changes.

first in you child Master Page add a <asp:ContentPlaceHolder> inside the <asp:content id="Content2" ContentPlaceHolderID="ContentPlaceHolder1" runat="server">

so your child MasterPage will look like this now

<%@ Master Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" MasterPageFile="~/Main.master" CodeFile="Child.master.cs" Inherits="Child" %>

<asp:Content ID="Content1" ContentPlaceHolderID="head" runat="server">

<h4>this is child master using contentplaceholder id = head</h4>

</asp:Content>

<asp:Content ID="Content2" ContentPlaceHolderID="ContentPlaceHolder1" runat="server">

<h4>Welcome to Child Master Page. I am using Contentplaceholder id = ContentPlaceHolder1</h4>

<asp:ContentPlaceHolder ID="cpChild" runat="server">

</asp:ContentPlaceHolder>

now in your aspx.page

<%@ Page Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/Child.master" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="Default.aspx.cs" Inherits="_Default" Title="Untitled Page" %>

<%-- Add content controls here --%>

<asp:content id="cMain" runat="server" contentplaceholderid="cpChild" >

<div id="cats" runat="server">

<asp:Image ID="Image1" runat="server" ImageUrl="~/images/curleft.jpg" /></div>

</asp:content>

now it will run.

Hope this helps !!

Thanks

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 1:22 PM
  • User-538256727 posted

just a note on novicehere's post: you don't have to change the placeholder id in your nested masterpage. You can just do:

<asp:Content id="content2" runat="server" ContentPlaceHolderID="ContentPlaceholder1">
      <asp:ContentPlaceholder runat="server" id="ContentPlaceholder1" />

this way, if you ever decide to remove the nested masterpage, your contentpages won't break cause they'll find the placeholder in the root master.

Thursday, October 23, 2008 3:01 PM

All replies

• User-538256727 posted

Hi,

they certainly have not discontinued it! I think you might be overlooking the fact that nested masterpages are just masterpagesthat inherit from other masterpages.

So just use the Master Page template in (web > c#)

Thursday, October 23, 2008 6:21 AM
  • User-956690817 posted

I tried that while watching the vides tutorial it acted no differnt than than a regular aspx page other than the nestedmaster page wont display  

any content untill I add a content page to the nestedmaster then any content I put in the nestedmaster page displays if I try to put any content

in the aspx page I added I get an error

this is  the nestedmaster

<%@ Master Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/MasterPage.master" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="MasterPage2.master.cs" Inherits="MasterPage2" %>

<asp:Content ID="Content1" ContentPlaceHolderID="head" Runat="Server">
    <asp:Content ID="Content2" ContentPlaceHolderID="ContentPlaceHolder1" Runat="Server">
    <div style="height: 136px"></div>

and this is the content page

<%@ Page Title="" Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/MasterPage2.master" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="Default3.aspx.cs" Inherits="Default3" %>

when I try to put anything inthe content page I get this error

System.Web.HttpException: Content controls have to be top-level controls in a content page or a nested master page that references a master page<?xml:namespace prefix = asp /><asp:Content class=st id="

Thursday, October 23, 2008 11:56 AM
  • User-1167255018 posted

<asp:Content ID="Content1" ContentPlaceHolderID="head" Runat="Server">
    <asp:Content ID="Content2" ContentPlaceHolderID="ContentPlaceHolder1" Runat="Server">

Hello There,

do you have that contentplaceholderid in you main master page ( parent master page) for both <asp:content>

Thanks

Thursday, October 23, 2008 12:30 PM
  • User-1167255018 posted

Hello There,

you are almost there, 2 changes.

first in you child Master Page add a <asp:ContentPlaceHolder> inside the <asp:content id="Content2" ContentPlaceHolderID="ContentPlaceHolder1" runat="server">

so your child MasterPage will look like this now

<%@ Master Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" MasterPageFile="~/Main.master" CodeFile="Child.master.cs" Inherits="Child" %>

<asp:Content ID="Content1" ContentPlaceHolderID="head" runat="server">

<h4>this is child master using contentplaceholder id = head</h4>

<asp:Content ID="Content2" ContentPlaceHolderID="ContentPlaceHolder1" runat="server">

<h4>Welcome to Child Master Page. I am using Contentplaceholder id = ContentPlaceHolder1</h4>

<asp:ContentPlaceHolder ID="cpChild" runat="server">

</asp:ContentPlaceHolder>

now in your aspx.page

<%@ Page Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/Child.master" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="Default.aspx.cs" Inherits="_Default" Title="Untitled Page" %>

<asp:content id="cMain" runat="server" contentplaceholderid="cpChild" >

<div id="cats" runat="server">

<asp:Image ID="Image1" runat="server" ImageUrl="~/images/curleft.jpg" /></div>

</asp:content>

now it will run.

Hope this helps !!

Thanks

Thursday, October 23, 2008 1:22 PM
  • User-538256727 posted

just a note on novicehere's post: you don't have to change the placeholder id in your nested masterpage. You can just do:

<asp:Content id="content2" runat="server" ContentPlaceHolderID="ContentPlaceholder1">
      <asp:ContentPlaceholder runat="server" id="ContentPlaceholder1" />

this way, if you ever decide to remove the nested masterpage, your contentpages won't break cause they'll find the placeholder in the root master.

Thursday, October 23, 2008 3:01 PM
  • User-1167255018 posted

True [:P]

Thanks

Thursday, October 23, 2008 3:11 PM
  • User-956690817 posted

Thanks that was fast good move

Thursday, October 23, 2008 3:58 PM