internet resources for learning simple web designs RRS feed

• Question

• User1396030708 posted

hello all,

I'd like to make this as simple as possible to start learning, but visual studio makes things very convoluted.  At least it seems that way.  Can anyone point me to some internet resources that will allow me to understand the components that are pre-populated in the webforms c#template when I open a new project in vs 2019?  I'm looking to make a simple website only, so I don't think that many of the components that come inside that template I created are really necessary.  Are they?

thanks.

Tuesday, May 12, 2020 5:27 PM

Answers

• User288213138 posted

Hi ajetrumpet,

Can anyone point me to some internet resources that will allow me to understand the components that are pre-populated in the webforms c#template when I open a new project in vs 2019?

What code can't you understand? You can refer to this link, here you can find some commonly used controls in the web form.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.web.ui.webcontrols?view=netframework-4.7.2

I'm looking to make a simple website only, so I don't think that many of the components that come inside that template I created are really necessary.  Are they?

In vs2019, there is no website, only web application. If you want to create a web form project without templates, you can try below option.

Best regards,

Sam

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, May 13, 2020 2:13 AM
  • User409696431 posted

First, when you say "simple website", do you mean a plain old vanilla HTML/CSS/JavaScript website, or do you mean a website that uses ASP.NET?  Will your website use a database to populate some of the content, and/or save content that visitors interact with your site to input?  Will you be using WebForms Asp.Net controls?

Visual Studio is for ASP.NET website (VS2019 assumes you will pre-compile them before publishing: web applications).  While it can be used for plain vanilla sites, you would not typically use it for that.

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 3:37 AM
  • User288213138 posted

Hi ajetrumpet,

ajetrumpet

From what I can tell, the only purpose of asp.net really is to provide a control-based architecture like in a webforms application.  Is that correct?

asp.net not only provides web form application, it also has mvc and Web Api.

ajetrumpet

I guess what I don't like is that the .net framework seems to be overly complex when it doesn't need to be.  Or am I confused? 

.NET Framework is a software development framework for building and running applications on Windows.Is it complicated? I think it is easy to master.

ajetrumpet

Basically I am just interested in using visual studio to create a small web application in the form of a website.  But accordingly to you Kathy, that's not the purpose of .NET or visual studio?  Is that correct?

I think using web from to create a small website is very simple and fast. 

You can follow this link to learn how to use webform:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/aspnet/web-forms/overview/

If you have any difficulties and questions, please let me know.

Best regards,

Sam

Friday, May 15, 2020 6:48 AM
  • User409696431 posted

"Basically I am just interested in using visual studio to create a small web application in the form of a website. But accordingly to you Kathy, that's not the purpose of .NET or visual studio? Is that correct?"

You haven't explained yet what kind of website you are talking about.  Do you need asp.net, or not?  Is it a static website made with HTML, CSS, and some JavaScript, or are you looking for controls and/or database driven content?

For plain vanilla HTML/CSS/JavaScript,  VS may be overkill.  You could use it, but you have to ignore a lot of what it offers.  (You could instead use the free Expression Web 4, Microsoft's web design tool.  It's no longer being updated, but it works.  It even supports ASP.NET, but VS is much better for that.)  If you have a use for the controls and database interfaces of asp.net, including things such as membership - people logging into your site and data about them being remembered - VS is the preferred tool.  It's up to you.

Sunday, May 17, 2020 7:59 AM

All replies

• User288213138 posted

Hi ajetrumpet,

Can anyone point me to some internet resources that will allow me to understand the components that are pre-populated in the webforms c#template when I open a new project in vs 2019?

What code can't you understand? You can refer to this link, here you can find some commonly used controls in the web form.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.web.ui.webcontrols?view=netframework-4.7.2

I'm looking to make a simple website only, so I don't think that many of the components that come inside that template I created are really necessary.  Are they?

In vs2019, there is no website, only web application. If you want to create a web form project without templates, you can try below option.

Best regards,

Sam

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 2:13 AM
  • User409696431 posted

First, when you say "simple website", do you mean a plain old vanilla HTML/CSS/JavaScript website, or do you mean a website that uses ASP.NET?  Will your website use a database to populate some of the content, and/or save content that visitors interact with your site to input?  Will you be using WebForms Asp.Net controls?

Visual Studio is for ASP.NET website (VS2019 assumes you will pre-compile them before publishing: web applications).  While it can be used for plain vanilla sites, you would not typically use it for that.

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 3:37 AM
  • User1396030708 posted

thank you folks.  I guess what I may be confused about is what asp.net offers.  From what I can tell, the only purpose of asp.net really is to provide a control-based architecture like in a webforms application.  Is that correct?  I guess what I don't like is that the .net framework seems to be overly complex when it doesn't need to be.  Or am I confused?  from what I've read, .NET apps are meant to be big, complex and meant for large businesses to operate at the enterprise level.  That's not what I want to practice or learn.  Basically I am just interested in using visual studio to create a small web application in the form of a website.  But accordingly to you Kathy, that's not the purpose of .NET or visual studio?  Is that correct?

Thursday, May 14, 2020 5:41 PM
  • User288213138 posted

Hi ajetrumpet,

ajetrumpet

From what I can tell, the only purpose of asp.net really is to provide a control-based architecture like in a webforms application.  Is that correct?

asp.net not only provides web form application, it also has mvc and Web Api.

ajetrumpet

I guess what I don't like is that the .net framework seems to be overly complex when it doesn't need to be.  Or am I confused? 

.NET Framework is a software development framework for building and running applications on Windows.Is it complicated? I think it is easy to master.

ajetrumpet

Basically I am just interested in using visual studio to create a small web application in the form of a website.  But accordingly to you Kathy, that's not the purpose of .NET or visual studio?  Is that correct?

I think using web from to create a small website is very simple and fast. 

You can follow this link to learn how to use webform:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/aspnet/web-forms/overview/

If you have any difficulties and questions, please let me know.

Best regards,

Sam

Friday, May 15, 2020 6:48 AM
  • User409696431 posted

"Basically I am just interested in using visual studio to create a small web application in the form of a website. But accordingly to you Kathy, that's not the purpose of .NET or visual studio? Is that correct?"

You haven't explained yet what kind of website you are talking about.  Do you need asp.net, or not?  Is it a static website made with HTML, CSS, and some JavaScript, or are you looking for controls and/or database driven content?

For plain vanilla HTML/CSS/JavaScript,  VS may be overkill.  You could use it, but you have to ignore a lot of what it offers.  (You could instead use the free Expression Web 4, Microsoft's web design tool.  It's no longer being updated, but it works.  It even supports ASP.NET, but VS is much better for that.)  If you have a use for the controls and database interfaces of asp.net, including things such as membership - people logging into your site and data about them being remembered - VS is the preferred tool.  It's up to you.

Sunday, May 17, 2020 7:59 AM
  • User1396030708 posted

guys,

the test that I was running never worked because the hosting company's server has security on it that was causing configuration problems with the template at runtime.  I cancelled everything and went with PHP instead.  I appreciate your responses here.  I will consider this thing solved.

Monday, May 25, 2020 2:37 PM