Can't see forms when making main master page RRS feed

• Question

• This is ridiculous.  I haven't used web2 for several months, so went to the tutorial to re-learn how to make master pages.  I've followed the tutorial exactly, but when I try to make the master page, in the design view it's just a blank page.  I can't see the forms or content placeholders or anything in the way of borders, etc.

I can type into the design section, but can't see the form frames or add divs.  I've spent over an hour trying to find out what little thing I'm doing wrong?

Any suggestions?  I'm desperate.

thanks

Nancy

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 8:08 PM

All replies

• Turn your Visual Aids on.  Empty containers, tags, etc. don't show unless you do.
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 8:26 PM
  • Read the FAQ and post back with the information necessary for someone to help you which includes a link to the published page with a problem. Without seeing what you have done nobody can help you. You can publish to a temporary place like a testing section of your site.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 8:26 PM
  • Cheryl,

The question is about working with an asp.net master page in Design View, which is something that will not be debuggable by a published page.  :)

(I'm assuming the OP is indeed talking about Master Pages, not DWTs, given the reference to forms and ContentPlaceHolders.)

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 9:02 PM
  • Kathy, the OP said "nothing shows in design view" and presumably there is more than just a single content placeholder on the page especially with the reference to plurals. In any event a link would tell us which is the case.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 9:54 PM
  • Cheryl,

What the OP describes is exactly what a Master Page will look like if you try to create it with visual aids off.  No form tag shows.  Empty content holders have nothing to indicate that they are there. Ditto for any empty divs.  (The number of content holders makes no difference).  Once something is in the content holder, selecting it will show the content holder tag, but only for as long as it is selected.

The OP did say that typing text does show, as would be expected.

• Edited by KathyW2 Tuesday, April 17, 2012 10:17 PM
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 10:16 PM