Middle/Common Biz Tier RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to prove out an idea.  The goal is to provide a physical tier for my biz logic, however I want to enable/open this tier to .net client and other non-.net clients (Java and CFMX)...basically tcp and http/soap.

So here's my idea... first I tried using .net Remoting..  almost got it working, but the wsdl is spits out doesn't work with CFMX. So now I'm looking at WCF. I have an example working using basicHttpBinding and I can get CFMX to call it, but now I encountered a different problem... actually it may be a take away from .net remoting. 

When you wire up your own host, you need to specify the type of the class you want host.  This forces you to rebuild the host service every time you add a new class.  Back in .net remoting you just had to deloy the new dll, add it to the config, and recycle the host exe.

Anyone else run into this?  Anyone solve this by just creating an array of ServiceHosts and wiring them up from a custom config?

In the end this is what I'm looking for... I want my devs to focus on building the biz logic and only worry about them keeping them stateless.  I don't want them to deal with protocols.  I also want this core logic to be callable from almost everything... CFMX, Java, other .net apps, etc... and I don't want to go though soap/http unless I need it (CFMX, Java).

Thanks in advance.

- Blex

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 3:42 AM

Answers

• Once your host is running, if you are self-hosting (not IIS or WAS) it will not read the config again until you restart the host process, unless you write custom code to read the config periodically and do a file watch on the config to trigger events in the host process. That should be easy enough.

Further, if you want to reload changed DLLs, you might want to use application domain isolation for loading each servicehost instance, so that you can recycle the assembly if a new version is deployed.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 9:32 AM

All replies

•  

>>Anyone else run into this?  Anyone solve this by just creating an array of ServiceHosts and wiring them up from a custom config?

Yes, you can do this in WCF. You can read endpoint info from a config file and dynamically host services.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 6:55 AM
  • Once your host is running, if you are self-hosting (not IIS or WAS) it will not read the config again until you restart the host process, unless you write custom code to read the config periodically and do a file watch on the config to trigger events in the host process. That should be easy enough.

Further, if you want to reload changed DLLs, you might want to use application domain isolation for loading each servicehost instance, so that you can recycle the assembly if a new version is deployed.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 9:32 AM