Unable to start VM - The server encountered an internal error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am having the following issue this morning when attempting to start my VM, 

Failed to start the virtual machine 'XXXX'. The operation '80496101afa9641fa46a0b99afdf361e' failed: 'The server encountered an internal error. Please retry the request.

Nothing has changed and we have plenty of credit on our account,

I've done some searching around and can see a number of other users with similar issues but various solutions; some of which involve recreating the VM which seems extreme.

Hoping someone can assist.

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 12:39 AM

Answers

• Hi Brad,

In general, the error message "'The server encountered an internal error. Please retry the request." indicates the host server was in a problem state. While if you resize a VM, it may move to other host server and the issue on the previous server would be gone.

I checked on my VMs in the Southeast Asia, and they can be started. 

If you have important data on the temporary driver and still encounter this issue, I recommend you to contact Azure support by requesting a support ticket in the link below:

http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/support/options/

Best regards,

Susie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Susie Long Thursday, January 22, 2015 5:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Susie Long Wednesday, January 28, 2015 5:01 AM
    Thursday, January 15, 2015 6:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Which region is that VM in?

Did you start the VM in the Azure management portal? If yes, I recommend you to use Azure PowerShell commands to see if the issue persists:

start-Azurevm -Servicename xxx -Name xxx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/dn495226.aspx

http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/install-configure-powershell/

If you still cannot start the VM and you have no important data on the temporary driver (D:), you can resize the VM to check the result (After resizing, the data on the temporary driver would be lost).

Best regards,

Susie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 1:57 AM
  • Hi Susie,

Thanks for your response, 

The VM is located in Southeast Asia,

I've tried your suggestion of starting with PowerShell and received the following error:

start-Azurevm : InternalError : The server encountered an internal error. Please retry the request.
    At line:1 char:1
    + start-Azurevm -Servicename XXXX -Name XXXX
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : CloseError: (:) [Start-AzureVM], CloudException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Commands.ServiceManagement.IaaS.StartAzureVMCommand

I'm a bit reluctant to try your other fix is there anything else that can be done?

Regards,

Brad

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 2:45 AM
  • Hi Brad,

In general, the error message "'The server encountered an internal error. Please retry the request." indicates the host server was in a problem state. While if you resize a VM, it may move to other host server and the issue on the previous server would be gone.

I checked on my VMs in the Southeast Asia, and they can be started. 

If you have important data on the temporary driver and still encounter this issue, I recommend you to contact Azure support by requesting a support ticket in the link below:

http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/support/options/

Best regards,

Susie

• Proposed as answer by Susie Long Thursday, January 22, 2015 5:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Susie Long Wednesday, January 28, 2015 5:01 AM
    Thursday, January 15, 2015 6:19 AM
  • Hello All,

Three of my Azure VMs are having the same problem:

Failed to start the virtual machine 'server name'. The operation 'a8f4d78592.....e0381397....' failed: 'The server encountered an internal error. Please retry the request.'.

I have tried the following, all with no success:

* resize the VM to move to a different host
    * detach the data disks (someone told me this might help)
    * start via UI or via PowerShell: 
    start-azurevm-ServiceName"service name"-Name"server name"
    * wait an hour or so

History:
    * today:  3 separate VMs, 2 of which finally started hours after they were first supposed to start; 1 of which is still not started
    * yesterday: 2 VMs took most of the day to start
    * last week: 1 VM took several hours to start

We have always been able to get the VMs started, but at least several hours later.

Is this a known problem?  Is it due to infrastructure congestion?  Is there a workaround?

We want the VM to start up via Automation nightly, do it's processing, and then shut down. Leaving it on 24/7/365  is beyond this one service's budget. In any case, we need it to reliably reboot when needed.

thanks,

Conrad

Conrad Seelye

Thursday, December 17, 2015 7:03 PM