Error when running workflow RRS feed

• Question

• I have activated the Group work site template and create a subsite based on that. It has a calendar where users can book equipment/resources.  All goes well, but when a new booking was made the workflow needs to assign a task.  after the task is assigned, the workflow gets cancelled and the following error appears with the workflow: 

System.ApplicationException: HTTP 500 {"error":{"code":"-2146232832, Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException","message":{"lang":"en-US","value":"The value for field 'Facilities' of type 'Facilities' cannot be serialized."}}} {"Transfer-Encoding":["chunked"],"X-SharePointHealthScore":["0"],"SPClientServiceRequestDuration":["42"],"SPRequestGuid":["274be34b-1eaa-47f7-a0a0-f4e5ec4350f4"],"request-id":["274be34b-1eaa-47f7-a0a0-f4e5ec4350f4"],"X-FRAME-OPTIONS":["SAMEORIGIN"],"MicrosoftSharePointTeamServices":["15.0.0.4569"],"X-Content-Type-Options":["nosniff"],"X-MS-InvokeApp":["1; RequireReadOnly"],"Cache-Control":["max-age=0, private"],"Date":["Fri, 09 Mar 2018 13:36:15 GMT"],"Server":["Microsoft-IIS\/8.5"],"X-AspNet-Version":["4.0.30319"],"X-Powered-By":["ASP.NET"]} at Microsoft.Activities.Hosting.Runtime.Subroutine.SubroutineChild.Execute(CodeActivityContext context) at System.Activities.CodeActivity.InternalExecute(ActivityInstance instance, ActivityExecutor executor, BookmarkManager bookmarkManager) at System.Activities.Runtime.ActivityExecutor.ExecuteActivityWorkItem.ExecuteBody(ActivityExecutor executor, BookmarkManager bookmarkManager, Location resultLocation)

Please help? I've tried several different approaches but the moment a task is assigned in the workflow it gets cancelled.

Friday, March 9, 2018 1:44 PM

Answers

• Hi DWSWeb,

Per my test in my SharePoint 2013 environment, I create the Group Work site from the Group Work site template and create the workflow in the group calendar. And I add the assign task action in the workflow.

Then I can run the workflow in the group calendar. The workflow can work fine. It will not be cancelled.

I activate the group work site template by the method below.

I go to the path and edit the WEBTEMP.XML. And find the 'Group Work Site' title attribute and change its Hidden attribute from TRUE to FALSE.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\15\TEMPLATE\1033\XML

More reference:

Activate Group Work Site Template in SharePoint 2013.

http://www.enjoysharepoint.com/Articles/Details/activate-group-work-site-template-in-sharepoint-2013-20710.aspx

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Sara Fan Tuesday, March 27, 2018 10:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by DWSWeb Tuesday, March 27, 2018 3:03 PM
    Tuesday, March 27, 2018 10:05 AM

All replies

• No one that can help?
    Monday, March 12, 2018 4:55 PM
  • Hi DWSWeb,

Is there the field “Facilities” in the list?

If there is the field “Facilities”, and is the field “Facilities” the lookup column?

Do you want to get the value of the lookup column in the workflow?

To troubleshoot the issue, check things below:

1. Re-publish the workflow.

2. Create a new workflow to check if the same issue will occur.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 8:20 AM
  • Hi Sara,

I've republished the wf, recreated it from scratch, but it runs 100% till it gets to the stage where it should assign a task - then it gives above error.  There is no Facilities field in the list, also no lookup column in this list.  If I only send an email to the user that created the item, with the workflow - it works 100% and runs smoothly through the workflow.  But when I add an assign task to the person that created the workflow, it gets the error.

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 8:58 AM
  • Hi DWSWeb,

Did the issue occur in workflow 2010 or workflow 2013?

To troubleshoot the issue, check things below:

1. Deactivate and re-activate the workflow feature in site collection features. Go to site settings->site collection administration->site collection features.

2. Delete the “Workflow Service Application” and re-create “Workflow Service Application” in central administration.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Wednesday, March 14, 2018 8:22 AM
  • All my other workflows runs 100% (with assigning tasks) - it is only this one on the Group Site that does not want to run. 
    Thursday, March 15, 2018 9:15 AM
  • Hi DWSWeb,

If the issue occurs in one workflow, you could create a new workflow and check if the same issue will occur.

If the same issue will not occur, you could use the same actions in the new workflow with the problematical workflow.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Friday, March 16, 2018 9:31 AM
  • If I create a new workflow - the same issue occur when assigning a task in a Group Site on the calendar.  Assigning tasks on other libraries and list does not give an error - only in a calendar.
    Friday, March 16, 2018 1:41 PM
  • Hi DWSWeb,

Did the issue only occur in all calendar lists or one calendar list?

To troubleshoot the issue, you could check things below:

1. Run SharePoint 2013 products configuration wizard.

2. Go to calendar list, go to list settings, content types, remove the Event content types and re-add the Event content type.

3. Create a new Event content type which inherits the default Event site content type and use new Event site content type in the calendar list.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Monday, March 19, 2018 2:06 AM
  • Hi DWSWeb,

I am checking to see how things are going there on this issue. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

If the issue was resolved, you can mark the helpful post as answer to help other community members find the helpful information quickly.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Monday, March 26, 2018 1:23 AM
  • Hi Sara Fan, thank you for your following up.

I am not allowed to run the config wizard, but I've done step 2 and 3 but the default content type is Schedule and Reservations. So I removed created a content type that inherits from Schedule and Reservations and add that to the list.  Same end results - when running the workflow, it assigns the task, task is completed, but then the workflow is cancelled. :-(

Could it be that I've used the deprecated 'Work Group' site template for this site?  Because this is the only difference between this site and the other sub sites.  Also, if that is the case, how else can I book equipment/resources on a calendar and check for double booking and assign tasks to owners to approve?

Monday, March 26, 2018 6:23 AM
  • Hi DWSWeb,

If the issue only occurs in the site created from the “Work Group” site template, you could create a new site and move the content from the problematical site to the new site.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Monday, March 26, 2018 8:50 AM
  • Hi Sara

I need the functionality of a work group site.  The reservations in the calendar makes it possible to select resources from a resource list, check if they are available and book them in the calendar.

If I create a normal sub site, how do I move the content of the work group site to that site?  And then, will the site have that functionality to do bookings/reservations on resources?  Or am I confused now?

It seems the problem lies when I create a new site and use the template 'Group work site'.  I need the functionality of that site features.  I've created 10's of new subsites with the template as 'Group work site' - all of them cancel the workflow once task has been assigned.  So different subsites does not cause the problem - it is the specific Group Work site template that causes this.
    • Edited by DWSWeb Monday, March 26, 2018 9:31 AM
    Monday, March 26, 2018 9:23 AM
  • Hi DWSWeb,

Per my test in my SharePoint 2013 environment, I create the Group Work site from the Group Work site template and create the workflow in the group calendar. And I add the assign task action in the workflow.

Then I can run the workflow in the group calendar. The workflow can work fine. It will not be cancelled.

I activate the group work site template by the method below.

I go to the path and edit the WEBTEMP.XML. And find the 'Group Work Site' title attribute and change its Hidden attribute from TRUE to FALSE.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\15\TEMPLATE\1033\XML

More reference:

Activate Group Work Site Template in SharePoint 2013.

http://www.enjoysharepoint.com/Articles/Details/activate-group-work-site-template-in-sharepoint-2013-20710.aspx

Best regards,

Sara Fan

• Edited by Sara Fan Tuesday, March 27, 2018 10:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by DWSWeb Tuesday, March 27, 2018 3:03 PM
    Tuesday, March 27, 2018 10:05 AM
  • Hi Sara,

I've used that same method the first time and got the error.  I'm glad to hear it works on your side, then it means it does not break SharePoint if you active that template feature.  I'm beginning to think that the client's SharePoint needs an update.  I'll advice their sys admin to run the updates and see that it's up to date, then I'll try again.  In the meantime I'll close this call and resolve to the answer to user Group Work site.

Thank you for your time and effort - much appreciated.

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 3:03 PM