none
How does mso-width-percent get calculated? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all;

This question also holds for mso-height-percent, mso-left-percent, & mso-top-percent. But I figure they work the same way so getting one answered will be sufficient.

The definition for mso-width-percent is:

Word uses this property to specify the width of the shape as a percentage of the layout object defined by the mso-width-relative property; its value is expressed as an integer between 10 and 10,000, inclusive, where each unit is a tenth of a percent.

And for mso-width-relative it's:

Word uses this property to specify the layout object referred to by the mso-width-percent property; its allowed values are margin, page, left-margin-area, right-margin-area, inner-margin-area, and outer-margin-area, with page being the default.

Assuming mso-width-percent:1000 (ie 100%), then I'm assuming mso-width-relative:page means make it as wide as the page and mso-width-relative:margin means make it as wide as the are between the margins. Is that correct?

And then for left-margin-area and right-margin-area, make it as wide as from the paper edge to the margin edge?

And what is the measure for inner-margin-area, and outer-margin-area?

thanks - dave

Who will win The Windward International Collegiate Programming Championships?

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 4:42 PM

Answers

• Hi Dave,

Thanks for your patience.  To answer your questions:

>>Assuming mso-width-percent:1000 (ie 100%), then I'm assuming mso-width-relative:page means make it as wide as the page and mso-width-relative:margin means make it as wide as the are between the margins. Is that correct?

Yes, that's correct.

>>And then for left-margin-area and right-margin-area, make it as wide as from the paper edge to the margin edge?

Also correct.  

>>And what is the measure for inner-margin-area, and outer-margin-area?

This is the same as left-margin-area except that the margin it refers to is dependent on whether the page is odd or even.  See 2.1.1782 Part 4 Section 14.1.2.19, shape (Shape Definition) which contains definitions for these:

inner-margin-area = relative to the inner margin (the right margin for odd-numbered pages, the left
    margin for even-numbered pages)
    outer-margin-area = relative to the outer margin (the left margin for odd-numbered pages, the right

Tom

• Marked as answer by DavidThi808 Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:20 PM
    Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:17 PM

All replies

• Hi Dave:

I have alerted the open specifications team regarding your inquiry. A member of team will be in touch soon.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 6:46 PM
    Owner
  • Hey Dave,

I'll look into this for you.  I think I've had this question before but not on the forums.  I'll get back to you shortly.

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 11:50 PM
  • thank you.

ps - Are you ready to shoot me yet :)

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 11:52 PM
  • Of course not Dave!  We welcome the chance to clarify the specifications and standards.  :)

Tom

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 11:58 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Thanks for your patience.  To answer your questions:

>>Assuming mso-width-percent:1000 (ie 100%), then I'm assuming mso-width-relative:page means make it as wide as the page and mso-width-relative:margin means make it as wide as the are between the margins. Is that correct?

Yes, that's correct.

>>And then for left-margin-area and right-margin-area, make it as wide as from the paper edge to the margin edge?

Also correct.  

>>And what is the measure for inner-margin-area, and outer-margin-area?

This is the same as left-margin-area except that the margin it refers to is dependent on whether the page is odd or even.  See 2.1.1782 Part 4 Section 14.1.2.19, shape (Shape Definition) which contains definitions for these:

inner-margin-area = relative to the inner margin (the right margin for odd-numbered pages, the left
    outer-margin-area = relative to the outer margin (the left margin for odd-numbered pages, the right

Tom

• Marked as answer by DavidThi808 Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:20 PM
    Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:17 PM
  • thank you. Once you said the odd/even pages it all made sense.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:21 PM