none
Help on installing .NET 4.0 on my PC. RRS feed

• Question

• I have been reading some discussions and questions about installing .NET 4.0 on windows xp, but my case is quite unique. My PC has windows xp professional on it, but I've heard that my PC is different because it is an hp mini 1000. As far as I know this could be the problem (As I've read online) but I don't know how to fix it. apparently this computer runs a 32 bit version of windows xp and therefore it is not compatible with certain downloads. I'm not sure if this is true or not seeing as how the download finishes and then says that it will not download. I would like it if someone would shed some light on my problem. thanks. :)
    Sunday, July 14, 2013 5:16 PM

Answers

• First, having a 32 bit PC with Windows XP, is not an issue with .NET Framework 4.0.

Not having XP properly updated CAN BE an issue.

As a first step, ensure that your XP is fully up to date, including Service Pack 3.

Then, follow these steps:

Follow ALL these steps exactly:

Please follow these instructions exactly:

1. Download a fresh copy of the standalone installer for .NET Framework 4.0:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17718

2. Also, clear your %temp% directory and disable your AV software.

The %temp% directory is a reference to the Temp folder associated with the current user. To clear it, do the following:

Sign on to your system with the Administrator user account you will use to run the installer. Click the Start Orb and type %temp% in the search box. The search results will show the Temp folder you want. Click on the Temp folder to open it in Windows Explorer, then delete the entire contents.

3. Run the standalone installer from step 1 As Administrator.

Note: Just using an administrator account is NOT enough. To activate full privileges, you must right-click the installer, then select Run as administrator.

If the install fails, provide complete install logs as follows:

Please collect your install logs with this:

http://aka.ms/vscollect

After you run Collect.exe, you'll find vslogs.cab in your %temp% directory. Please upload vslogs.cab to a public site, like SkyDrive, and post the link here.

Monday, July 15, 2013 3:04 PM