Crawl XML files and map node values to properties RRS feed

• Question

• How can I crawl XML files and map node values to properties?

For example I have a node called "PostedDate" and want to query all xml files with a specific posted date. Is this possible in MOSS out-of-the box? Do I have to write an extension in c#?

Any help would be very appreciated !! Thanks.

Michael

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 4:03 PM

All replies

• Depending on your situatio and the version of SharePoint you might need an XML iFilter.

Saturday, September 1, 2007 1:23 PM
  • Hi Matthew

Thanks for your answer.

The version is MOSS 2007.

Is there an XML iFilter available from Microsoft or do I have to purchase a 3rd party one?

If I have to purchase a 3rd party iFilter - is there one you can recommend?

Thank you.

Michael

Monday, September 3, 2007 3:36 PM
  • Tuesday, September 4, 2007 11:23 AM
  • Did you ever get this working, I am trying to do the same right now using MOSS and / or Search Server 2008.

I can't seem to get the individual nodes showing up under "Crawled Properties", so I can add a "Managed Property" mapping to query.

I would think that the built in XML iFilter would index individual nodes, or maybe you need to reference a XSD schema file??
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 6:27 PM
  • We've started to try to use this, and it seems to be working ok.

The thing to know is that the XML iFilter supplied only picks up nodes that are 1-2 levels deep in the XML.

So we see "link", "person", and "search_date" and other node values show up as crawled properties.  Anything under "topic" or "subtopic" do not show up.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?>
    <index_page>
     <browser_note>Requires Microsoft Internet Explorer version 5.0 or higher.</browser_note>
     <link>http://yoursite.onthe.internet.com/search/confidential/file-287.xml</link>
     <marketing_project_number>2010-287</marketing_project_number>
     <global_region>global</global_region>
     <person>John Smith</person>
     <report_date>05-2010</report_date>
     <search_date>05-01-2010</search_date>
     <topic>
      <id>40</id>
      <name>Advertising</name>
      <subtopic>
       <id>961955524</id>
       <name>Creative Development Process</name>
      </subtopic>
     </topic>
     </related_facet>
     <keywords>This, That, The other thing</keywords>
     <last_updated>25-Aug-10</last_updated>
     <subscription>No</subscription>
    </index_page>

Monday, October 18, 2010 3:20 PM
  • Norm can you please  tell how you have done.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:50 AM
  • Hi swathi have you got any solution for crawling the xml nodes so that appeared to get the individual nodes showing up under "Crawled Properties", so I can add a "Managed Property" mapping to query.Is it possible to crawl the internal elements of xml files and create crawled properties based on nodes in sharepoint search 2010?Please help me out wiht this regards.Thanks in advance.
    Wednesday, December 5, 2012 6:42 PM