Access was denied by the external data source. The following connections failed to refresh: Data RRS feed

• Question

• I am using PowerPivot with SharePoint. Everything was working fine until a 3rd party piece of software required that I move central admin off my app server (also running the PowerPivot instance) to a WFE. After the move I was receiving the error in the title whenever I tried to access the PowerPivot Management Dashboard, at the advice of a colleague I ran the config tool, removed PP, and then reconfigured PP for SharePoint. 

In the logs I get:

PF_CHECK_ERROR returned 'hresult error' 0x80040e4d ; Stack Trace:NA

ConnectionManager.GetConnection: Failed to create new connection, exception=Microsoft.Office.Excel.Server.CalculationServer.Interop.ConnectionException: 

Unable to use Integrated authentication. 

ConnectionManager.GetConnection: Caught an exception: Microsoft.Office.Excel.Server.CalculationServer.Interop.ConnectionException: Exception of type 'Microsoft.Office.Excel.Server.CalculationServer.Interop.ConnectionException' was thrown.    

ExternalSource.ValidateConnection: Authentication failure.

ConnectionInfoManager.InitConnInfoFromOdcFile: ODC File Uri is not valid:

ExternalSource.ExecuteOperation: We exhausted all available connection information. Exception: Microsoft.Office.Excel.Server.CalculationServer.Interop.ConnectionInfoException: Exception of type 'Microsoft.Office.Excel.Server.CalculationServer.Interop.ConnectionInfoException' was thrown.    
     at Microsoft.Office.Excel.Server.CalculationServer.ConnectionInfoManager.GetConnectionInfo(Request request, String externalSourceName, Int32 externalSourceIndex, Boolean& shouldReportFailure)    
     at Microsoft.Office.Excel.Server.CalculationServer.ExternalSource.ExecuteOperation(Request request, ExternalSourceStateInfo externalSourceStateInfo, ExternalSourceStateInfo prevExternalSourceStateInfo, Int32 index, ConnectionInfoManager connectionInfoManager, ExternalDataScenario scenario, DataOperation dataOperation, Boolean verifyPreOperationConnection), Data Connection Name: Data, SessionId:

PowerPivot and POwerview work on my sites, but not the management dashboard, it's driving me crazy. Please help.

• Edited by ಠ_ಠ Tuesday, November 6, 2012 10:15 PM
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 10:14 PM

Answers

• We had Kerberos all setup and working, however as the data connection was to a new SQL Server, we had to configure the following:

1. Find your C2WTS account in Active Directory
    2. From the Delegation Tab, click "Add" and find the service/machine account running a SPN on destination. Select the valid services (e.g. MSSQLSvc and the port 1433 version)
    3. Find your service account running Excel Services
    4. Repeat Step 2 for this account

See here for more info: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg502605.aspx

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 1:42 AM

All replies

• Hello,

To support workbook interaction through slicers and filters, Excel Services must be configured to allow external data access through embedded connection information. External data access is required for retrieving PowerPivot data that is loaded on PowerPivot servers in the farm.

For more detail information, please refer to the article below:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff487976.aspx

Regards,

Bin Long

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Elvis Long Wednesday, November 14, 2012 6:57 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by ಠ_ಠ Tuesday, November 20, 2012 7:36 PM
    Monday, November 12, 2012 10:12 AM
  • I appreciate the help, but excel services has already been configured per the article you provided.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 8:16 PM
  • We had Kerberos all setup and working, however as the data connection was to a new SQL Server, we had to configure the following:

1. Find your C2WTS account in Active Directory
    2. From the Delegation Tab, click "Add" and find the service/machine account running a SPN on destination. Select the valid services (e.g. MSSQLSvc and the port 1433 version)
    3. Find your service account running Excel Services
    4. Repeat Step 2 for this account

See here for more info: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg502605.aspx

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 1:42 AM