none
Error in Power Pivot (Excel 2016) function 'XMVSXJoin::BuildRelationships' when adding a calculated column using CALCULATE

Question

• I am following through some very simple examples of using CALCULATE, and when I add the following to my Products table I get the error show below. I updated my Office 2016 Pro Plus yesterday, it's Version 1702 (Build 7870.32020). Does anyone know if this is a new or ongoing issue, I have certainly read about this in relation to SSAS Tabular 2016, but can't find anything in relation to Power Pivot.

=CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[ExtendedAmount]))

============================

Error Message:

An unexpected error occurred (file 'xmvsquery.cpp', line 13766, function 'XMVSXJoin::BuildRelationships').

The process operation ended because the number of errors encountered during processing reached the defined limit of allowable errors for the operation.

The current operation was cancelled because another operation in the transaction failed.

----------------------------

An unexpected error occurred (file 'xmvsquery.cpp', line 13766, function 'XMVSXJoin::BuildRelationships').

The process operation ended because the number of errors encountered during processing reached the defined limit of allowable errors for the operation.

The current operation was cancelled because another operation in the transaction failed.

Call Stack:

at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.BackEnd.DataModelingSandbox.ProcessResults(XmlaResultCollection results)

at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.BackEnd.DataModelingSandbox.ExecuteCaptureLogAndProcessResults(OperationType type, Boolean cancellable, Boolean raw, Boolean raiseEvents)

at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.BackEnd.SandboxTransaction.CommitInternal(Boolean finalCommit)

----------------------------

at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.BackEnd.SandboxTransaction.CommitInternal(Boolean finalCommit)

at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Common.SandboxEditor.ChangeFormula(TableWidgetPanel currentTable, IList`1 colIndices, IList`1 names, IList`1 expressions, Boolean doFormulaBarCommit, IList`1 displayIndices)

Sunday, March 12, 2017 6:50 PM

Answers

• Hi Chris,

The issue may be caused by upgrating, you'd better post it to office forum to get professional support. Here is the link https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?category=officeitpro.

emma 
    Monday, March 20, 2017 1:15 PM

All replies

• Hi Chris,

The issue has been fixed. This should not be a problem in future release.

After update your office, have you restarted your computer? If it hasn't, please reboot you computer. Then disable Power Pivot for Excel 2016, then enable it again. Then check if it still have the issue.

How to enable Power Pivot in Excel 2016, please review this article.

Best Regards,
    Angelia 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 13, 2017 5:57 AM
  • Thanks Angelia

I did as you suggested, but it has made no difference. I think that this error has started since I upgraded Office.

Regards

Chris

Monday, March 13, 2017 12:59 PM
  • Hi Angelia

I realise I answered that under a different login than I used to ask the question. But I can confirm that there is no difference after rebooting and disabling and re-enabling Power Pivot.

Chris 

Monday, March 13, 2017 1:21 PM
  • Hi Chris,

The issue may be caused by upgrating, you'd better post it to office forum to get professional support. Here is the link https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?category=officeitpro.

emma 
    Monday, March 20, 2017 1:15 PM
  • Thanks for the link Emma

I tried this again before posting to the MS forum, and the problem has disappeared! Maybe something has been quietly fixed in the meantime.

Chris

Monday, March 20, 2017 5:52 PM
  • Hi Chris,

I am very glad the problem has disappeared, please share you solution or mark the helpful replay as answer, which will help other find workaround easily. If you have any other issues, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
    Angelia

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 3:30 AM