none
[C# VSTO ClickOnce] How to keep old version installed and install a new version RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

I have a document level customised Excel workbook in IIS. 

People open the file from internet explorer then it opens the workbook and work from there. 

When a change made to the workbook, then it requires users to uninstall old version. This is very frustrating for users and I have been looking for a way to make it automatic but haven't found a solution. 

then it came to me..  instead of removing the old version, how about installing it as a new program. 

so I changed the assembly name each time I made changes to the workbook. But it wouldn't install the new one. 

somehow, it works for my computer and not with users computers. 

It skips installation. New version workbook is loaded but old codes are used and since some of components are not installed, any new buttons added can't be used. 

Basically, what I want to achieve is 

if there is a new version (if installed version is different from one in IIS), install that version. But it's not doing it. 

Workbbok file name is also changed. something like   workbook_V1.1 ... and so on. Each time I publish, a new work book with a different version name. 

But it still does not install the new version. 

My computer does so there must be a place where I can enable installation of new version. 

Can anyone help me please? 

Thanks 

kind regards 

Mark 

• Edited by SQLMa Thursday, August 23, 2012 2:33 AM
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 1:49 AM

Answers

• Hi Mark,

It's based on my experience that your goal is hard to approach if your project is an document level application.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, August 27, 2012 5:10 AM

All replies

• Hi SQLMa,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I think you can rename old version of your add-in in registry than deploy your new version of the add-in.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]

Friday, August 24, 2012 7:20 AM
  • Hi Tom 

Thanks for the reply. 

But It's not an add-in. It's excel document level customisation. 

By the way, I did change all the names... including assembly names. 

Kind regards 

Mark Kim

Friday, August 24, 2012 8:18 AM
  • Hi Mark,

It's based on my experience that your goal is hard to approach if your project is an document level application.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]

Monday, August 27, 2012 5:10 AM
  • Thank Tom. 

Monday, August 27, 2012 5:28 AM