Has anyone experienced the BSOD with WPFs? RRS feed

• Question

• This is a random question, but ever since I started working with WPF stuff, my work computer has been suffering from the Blue Screen of Death.  It doesn't happen often, but it had never happened before, so I'm trying to find a common link.  Another person at work who is also working with WPF has experienced BSOD issues quite frequently.  He tends to have several windows and even WPF forms he has created running all at the same time, so maybe this is contributing to the frequency of his problem.

Anyway, here are my system specs for anyone that might be running something the same (or worse) and experiencing (or not) problems:
    • Windows XP Professional SP2
    • Intel Core2 6300 (1.86 GHz)
    • 2 GB RAM
    • "128 MB" video card (64 MB local, 64 MB cache)

My BSOD claims the video card drivers are stuck in an infinite loop...other guy at work had driver updates done, still has the same problem frequently.  I'm wondering if we're just overtaxing our video cards...

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 2:01 PM

Answers

• I think your intuition is almost certainly correct - it sounds like your graphics drivers are being overwhelmed with work and crashing.  On Vista there is a hard timeout, at which point the OS will restart the graphics driver (which will cause the screen to go black, flicker, and can occassionally lock up a machine needing a reboot).  On XP this can manifest as a blue-screen crash.  There are a few ways that you can do this using WPF's more hardware-intensive features, rendering a large number of Effects or drawing a very large amount of complex Geometry are a few ways we've seen it happen before.  Typically, performance for these apps will be noticeably bad and will fail to render the costly content at all, but can work without crashing on more powerful machines.  Of course, if you are running multiple WPF apps (or other hardware-accelerated apps), this increases the video memory consumption and limits the amount available for each app.  Normally when we run out of video memory on XP we will attempt to free some, and if we can't free enough we'll fall back to rendering in software, so I'm guessing the problem is simply your card failing to keep up with rendering.  Can you provide a brief description of your application and its normal performance characteristics?

Also, what type of video card are you using exactly?  Have you updated to the latest drivers from the manufacturer?  Have you tried your app on other machines with different hardware configurations to see if the issue reproduces?  Most issues like this are heavily dependent on the video driver.
    • Marked as answer by Marco Zhou Tuesday, January 13, 2009 2:26 AM
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 10:40 PM

All replies

• I've never experienced a BSOD, but I'm running Vista (Vista has much less BSODs than XP).
    My video card is a ATI X1600XT, cpu Athlon X2 3800+, 2GB RAM.

I ofter have several (3 or 4) instances of C# with WPF windows open. I don't that it makes a difference.
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 7:18 PM
  • I think your intuition is almost certainly correct - it sounds like your graphics drivers are being overwhelmed with work and crashing.  On Vista there is a hard timeout, at which point the OS will restart the graphics driver (which will cause the screen to go black, flicker, and can occassionally lock up a machine needing a reboot).  On XP this can manifest as a blue-screen crash.  There are a few ways that you can do this using WPF's more hardware-intensive features, rendering a large number of Effects or drawing a very large amount of complex Geometry are a few ways we've seen it happen before.  Typically, performance for these apps will be noticeably bad and will fail to render the costly content at all, but can work without crashing on more powerful machines.  Of course, if you are running multiple WPF apps (or other hardware-accelerated apps), this increases the video memory consumption and limits the amount available for each app.  Normally when we run out of video memory on XP we will attempt to free some, and if we can't free enough we'll fall back to rendering in software, so I'm guessing the problem is simply your card failing to keep up with rendering.  Can you provide a brief description of your application and its normal performance characteristics?

Also, what type of video card are you using exactly?  Have you updated to the latest drivers from the manufacturer?  Have you tried your app on other machines with different hardware configurations to see if the issue reproduces?  Most issues like this are heavily dependent on the video driver.
    • Marked as answer by Marco Zhou Tuesday, January 13, 2009 2:26 AM
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 10:40 PM