none
WMIPRVSE Pegging The Processor RRS feed

• Question

• We're running Windows Server 2008 SP2.

When launching one of our service the CPU utilization for WMIPRVSE goes to 100% and stays there for almost 45 seconds. After which the service finally starts and CPU utilization settles down.

When we stop the service the CPU utilization once again goes to 100% and stays there indefinitely. Our service never does successfully shut down. Eventually a service stop failed message box pops up stating shutdown failed. Looking at task manager the service still shows running and WMIPRVSE is still pegged.

If we forcefully kill WMIPRVSE our service will shut down. At times WMIPRVSE stays pegged whether our service is running or not.

Sometimes starting the file Explorer will cause WMIPRVSE to peg.

It seems that when some triggering event occurs WMIPRVSE goes into this state and stays there until the server is rebooted.

There are a ton of postings all over the WEB about this with Microsoft admitting they have a WMI problem. But no where can I find an absolute solution to the problem. There are mentions of hotfixes addressing memory leaks in the context of the high CPU utilization issue. Also it's mentioned in the context of Windows System Resource Manager as being the cause. But we're not using WSRM.

Does anyone have any real concrete answers or solutions to this problem?

Thanks

Al Harper

Al Harper

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 3:05 PM

All replies

• Did you see this one?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/fb66a150-544a-49db-919e-0ceb7f9f60af/

Friday, May 17, 2013 6:52 PM
  • Oh yea, looked at that post many times. Unfortunately it was irrelevant.

We entered a ticket with MS last week. They remoted into our lab to do some remote diagnostics on our server. Took a bunch of dumps, then disappeared to do some anaysis. We have not as of yet heard back from them.

In the mean time however, I believe we have fixed the problem ourselves without MS's help. I'll hold off for the time being until all the details are in, and we hear from Microsoft.

The answer might surprise you.

Al Harper

Al Harper

Monday, May 20, 2013 3:28 PM
  • Good.  Do let me know.......
    Monday, May 20, 2013 11:04 PM
  • Update!

It appears this is turning into a big deal. I think we have finally convinced MS that there is a real WMI problem and have got them to take the focus off our code and onto their own. I think we have penitrated deeper into MS's inner support sanctum than ever before, and they're dragging out the big guns. None of the hotfixes work, as a matter of fact they won't even install on the OS's the hotfixes claim they are relevant to.

6/7/2013 - Got an email from MS stating they are working diligently on the problem to get us a fix.

So ... stay tuned.

Al Harper

Al Harper

• Edited by aharper Friday, June 7, 2013 4:34 PM
    Friday, May 31, 2013 4:54 PM