OEM Home page and Health addin signing in Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I am making customization for the Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials Dashboard. 

I customized the "Getting Started" list and I added my own health addins. For both assemblies, I signed them with a pfx file (Strong Name signing that is) through visual studio (as i saw in the documentation). 

Everything is running fine.

But, I heard that I need to authenticode sign the dlls, not strong name sign them.

So what I did then was to sign them only with authenticate (no Strong Name signing)... I have a valid certificate...

And it is not working anymore. Actually the health addins are still working.

If there is no signing, the Health Addins are still working, but they should not (if I read the doc correctly).

It seems that no signing or Authenticode signing produce the same result (not working, except for the Health Add ins) while Strong name signing makes everything working.

My question is : What kind of signing am I supposed to use here since the documentation is not very clear?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Friday, October 14, 2011 3:27 PM

Answers

• There's no need for authenticode signing, however strong-naming the assemblies is mandatory:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg513927.aspx

From the article:

"If you used the binary option, you must ensure that the assemblies and all dependent files are saved in %ProgramFiles\Windows Server\Bin, and you must ensure that the assemblies are signed with a strong name so that the add-in can be uniquely identified. Important: If the assembly is not strong named, the health check will not be evaluated."

Andreas Miceli - Author of the Advanced Admin Console AddIn for Windows Home Server
    Friday, November 11, 2011 7:24 PM

All replies

• There's no need for authenticode signing, however strong-naming the assemblies is mandatory:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg513927.aspx

From the article:

"If you used the binary option, you must ensure that the assemblies and all dependent files are saved in %ProgramFiles\Windows Server\Bin, and you must ensure that the assemblies are signed with a strong name so that the add-in can be uniquely identified. Important: If the assembly is not strong named, the health check will not be evaluated."

Andreas Miceli - Author of the Advanced Admin Console AddIn for Windows Home Server
    Friday, November 11, 2011 7:24 PM
  • Hi Andreas,

Thank you for your reply. As I thought you only need strong name. Fine. But as I told you, I removed the strong name signing of my assembly (just for trying) and the health check were still evaluated. (So it seemed at the time, I should rerun some test and let you know)

Well this should be another thread I think.

Brian

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 3:44 PM