DataView as Crystal Reports data source RRS feed

• Question

• User2031716157 posted

I have a Crystal Report that pulls data directly from a database.

I want to switch the Crystal Report to pulling data from a DataView instead.

I have 10 lines of code elsewhere in my project that creates the DataView I want.

I would love to just cut and paste this code somewhere so the DataView will be created and the Crystal Report's data source can be set to it.

My question is.... where should this DataView code live?  Does it normally live on the page that contains the CrystalReportViewer?  If so, how does it reach over to the CrystalReport.rpt page to set its source property?

Sorry for being so brain-dead!  I have searched for a couple hours before posting this question.  There is not as much information on the web for Crystal Reports as there is for other .net  programming tasks!

Thursday, August 28, 2008 2:21 PM

Answers

• User2031716157 posted

After 10 hours of searching, I found a solution that I am not happy with but at least its working.

I will post it here for the benefit of any one else who stumbles across this thread.

Since I am an extreme newbie, this information will seem ridiculously simple to 95% of the people who read it.  I'm sure it is a very poor way to do it but at least it works and gave me a working model to start building and improving on.

Anyhoo, my solution works like this:

(1) Use Visual Studio interface to create a Crystal Report file.  (Right-click the project name, Add New Item, choose Crystal Report, etc).  Go through the wizard if you want, and configure it pull some data in directly from a database.  Once the report is finished, find it in the file system and make another copy of it using a new name (Fubar.rpt, for example).  Then go back into Visual Studio and delete it from your project in Solution Explorer.  It will remove it from your project and delete the rpt file itself, but the copy you made will still be there.

(2) Create a new blank page in your project.

(3) In the code-behind on that page, write the code that creates your DataView.

(4) In this new page, at the very top, paste the following.  The last three are not necessary if you're not going to have to export your report in formats like Excel.  (I am leaving them there in case I want to export to Excel in the future - I would rather slow my app down by 3 milliseconds that have to spend 2 hours searching for those 3 lines some day.)

Imports CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine

Imports CrystalDecisions.Shared

Imports CrystalDecisions.ReportSource

Imports CrystalDecisions.Web.Design

Imports CrystalDecisions.Shared.ExportDestinationType

Imports CrystalDecisions.Shared.ExportFormatType

Imports CrystalDecisions.Shared.ExportDestinationOptions

(5) Drag a CrystalReportViewer onto this new page.  I couldn't find the code to create the report viewer programatically so I had to resort to dragging a blank report viewer onto the page.  I think I read somewhere that you can't create the viewer programatically in the version of CR that ships with VS, but I could be mistaken about that.

(6) Add something like this to your code-behind:

Dim rpt As New ReportDocument

rpt = New CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument

rpt.Load("C:\YourProjectName\Fubar.rpt")

rpt.SetDataSource(dv)

CrystalReportViewer1.ReportSource = rpt

Even though your report was originally created with a link to pull data from a database directly, the rpt.SetDataSource switches it to a different source.

That's it.  I hope this helps another Newbie like myself.  Do I get points if I click on my own reply as the Answer?  >:-)

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, August 29, 2008 10:01 AM

All replies

• User2031716157 posted

After 10 hours of searching, I found a solution that I am not happy with but at least its working.

I will post it here for the benefit of any one else who stumbles across this thread.

Since I am an extreme newbie, this information will seem ridiculously simple to 95% of the people who read it.  I'm sure it is a very poor way to do it but at least it works and gave me a working model to start building and improving on.

Anyhoo, my solution works like this:

(1) Use Visual Studio interface to create a Crystal Report file.  (Right-click the project name, Add New Item, choose Crystal Report, etc).  Go through the wizard if you want, and configure it pull some data in directly from a database.  Once the report is finished, find it in the file system and make another copy of it using a new name (Fubar.rpt, for example).  Then go back into Visual Studio and delete it from your project in Solution Explorer.  It will remove it from your project and delete the rpt file itself, but the copy you made will still be there.

(2) Create a new blank page in your project.

(3) In the code-behind on that page, write the code that creates your DataView.

(4) In this new page, at the very top, paste the following.  The last three are not necessary if you're not going to have to export your report in formats like Excel.  (I am leaving them there in case I want to export to Excel in the future - I would rather slow my app down by 3 milliseconds that have to spend 2 hours searching for those 3 lines some day.)

Imports CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine

Imports CrystalDecisions.Shared

Imports CrystalDecisions.ReportSource

Imports CrystalDecisions.Web.Design

Imports CrystalDecisions.Shared.ExportDestinationType

Imports CrystalDecisions.Shared.ExportFormatType

Imports CrystalDecisions.Shared.ExportDestinationOptions

(5) Drag a CrystalReportViewer onto this new page.  I couldn't find the code to create the report viewer programatically so I had to resort to dragging a blank report viewer onto the page.  I think I read somewhere that you can't create the viewer programatically in the version of CR that ships with VS, but I could be mistaken about that.

(6) Add something like this to your code-behind:

Dim rpt As New ReportDocument

rpt = New CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument

rpt.Load("C:\YourProjectName\Fubar.rpt")

rpt.SetDataSource(dv)

CrystalReportViewer1.ReportSource = rpt

Even though your report was originally created with a link to pull data from a database directly, the rpt.SetDataSource switches it to a different source.

That's it.  I hope this helps another Newbie like myself.  Do I get points if I click on my own reply as the Answer?  >:-)

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, August 29, 2008 10:01 AM
  • User-427683521 posted

It wasn't previously possible to set a dataview as the data source for Crystal Reports, but now is in Version XI

Here's some basic sample code to use, exactly the way you would with a dataset or datatable:

'declarations    
    Dim crRptDoc As rptName    
    Dim dt As DataTable    
    Dim dv As DataView    
    Dim daPL As SqlDataAdapter    

'get data    
    dtFill = New DataTable    
    daPL.Fill(dt)    

'sort with dataview    
    dv = New DataView(dt)    
    dv.Sort = "ColName [ASC|DSC]"    

'set report data source    
    crRptDoc = New rptName    
    crRptDoc.SetDataSource(dv)  

The following was excerpted from this article: http://www.code-magazine.com/article.aspx?quickid=0701031&page=6

Additionally, if I’m using Crystal Reports XI, I can now pass a DataView object. Prior versions of Crystal Reports did not support the DataView object. So if I’m using anything prior to Crystal Reports XI and want to push the contents of a DataView into a report, I have two choices:

If I’m using Visual Studio 2005, I can use the new ADO.NET method, DataView.ToTable, to convert the view to a table.

Thursday, July 12, 2012 12:26 PM