How to make a baseline for the requirements in TFS RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

There is a requirement from our process that we can query what's the contents of requirements at the beginning or some specific period.

To achieve this we need the feature of baseline just like use a label or a branch in the version control.

Does TFS support this?

Thanks!~

Xiao

Saturday, June 11, 2011 5:24 AM

Answers

• Vicky,

I understand that Xiao needs a 'Requirements Baseline' (also called specifications). A RB identifies the set of statements (e.g., Requirements or User Stories) of commitment for a system release. Establish requirement baselines on all of part of the requirements according to the different phases of a project helps requirement management, e.g., identify, review, confirm that all requirements are included, prepare the traceability matrix, control changes, and make comparison between present and historical records possible.

You may think the implementation of a requirement baseline as one 'snapshot' or 'version label'.  As far as I know you cannot baseline work items in TFS as you can do with the code/changesets. So far I was no able to figure out how to baseline requirements and manage traceability. I was not able to have mutiple concurrent version of the same workitem (requirement) running. Lets said we are working on releasing version 1.0 and we create a version 2.0 so I need to maintain two copy of my requirement since both version of the requirement may differ from one version to another. And we may need to apply change request on Requirement on one version but not on the other one. Other tools allows baselining and may be integrated with TFS, for instance IBM DOORS.

Someone proposed baseline requirement documents using Microsoft SharePoint multiple sites, duplicating TFS workitems and linking them to specific site... but they may require lots of overhead to maintain them synchronized to the software baselines.

Regards,

Javier

• Marked as answer by XiaoYongQin Sunday, July 3, 2011 4:13 AM
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 2:31 PM

All replies

• Hello Xiao,

Thanks for your post.

For one thing I feel a little confused, what do you mean by saying that “we can query what's the contents of requirements at the beginning or some specific period”? Could you please provide me more information about your requirement?

Yes, both the Label and Branch features are available in the TFS Source Control.

Labels enable you to take a snapshot of your files so that at a later date you can refer back to that snapshot. Please see:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms181439.aspx

And branch is used to Isolate risks that are introduced by different sets of changes to the codebase.

Please see:

http://tfsbranchingguideiii.codeplex.com/

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms181425.aspx

I hope it can help you. If you still have anything unclear, welcome back.

Thanks,

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 9:26 AM
  • Dear Vicky,

Thanks for your reply.

For the function of label and branch in the version control, I agree with you.

You know we take the "User Story" as our requirement keys, and "User Story" is not stored in the Version Control system.

It is a kind of "Work Item".

So, can I make label to the "Work Item"?

Or can I make a snapshot for the "Work Item"?

Thanks.

Xiao

Saturday, June 18, 2011 4:25 PM
  • Hello Xiao,

Do you mean you want to make a copy of one existing User Story work item?

If so, there is a button named Copy Work Item in the work item editor. And then you can select the appropriate team project. See the following screen shot for details:

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 8:21 AM
  • Vicky,

I understand that Xiao needs a 'Requirements Baseline' (also called specifications). A RB identifies the set of statements (e.g., Requirements or User Stories) of commitment for a system release. Establish requirement baselines on all of part of the requirements according to the different phases of a project helps requirement management, e.g., identify, review, confirm that all requirements are included, prepare the traceability matrix, control changes, and make comparison between present and historical records possible.

You may think the implementation of a requirement baseline as one 'snapshot' or 'version label'.  As far as I know you cannot baseline work items in TFS as you can do with the code/changesets. So far I was no able to figure out how to baseline requirements and manage traceability. I was not able to have mutiple concurrent version of the same workitem (requirement) running. Lets said we are working on releasing version 1.0 and we create a version 2.0 so I need to maintain two copy of my requirement since both version of the requirement may differ from one version to another. And we may need to apply change request on Requirement on one version but not on the other one. Other tools allows baselining and may be integrated with TFS, for instance IBM DOORS.

Someone proposed baseline requirement documents using Microsoft SharePoint multiple sites, duplicating TFS workitems and linking them to specific site... but they may require lots of overhead to maintain them synchronized to the software baselines.

Regards,

Javier

• Marked as answer by XiaoYongQin Sunday, July 3, 2011 4:13 AM
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 2:31 PM
  • Hi Xiao,

Recently I have uploaded Work Item Baseline Tool.

http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/852736b7-3a40-424f-bcfd-7a19f3f60837?SRC=Home

Try it out. Hope, it will serve your need.

Please, post your feedback.

Thanks & Regards,

TFSExtensions.com

Saturday, August 4, 2012 8:39 PM