Force OOB App To 64 Bit RRS feed

• Question

• Today I found that our app has a bug on 64 bit machines. The bug does not come up when the 64 bit version of SLLAUNCHER is used. So, I want the OOB installation process to point to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Silverlight\sllauncher.exe" instead of "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Silverlight\sllauncher.exe" when it installs the link on the desktop. How can I force this to occur on all 64 bit machines?

Monday, March 3, 2014 4:29 AM

Answers

All replies

• Bump
    Monday, March 3, 2014 9:55 PM
  • Hi,

It is not a bug, when in the 64bit machine, the OOB installation will point to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Silverlight\sllauncher.exe".

As we all known, the “Program Files” is different on 32-bit and 64-bit machines, then you’ll want to make sure your script/installer can handle the determination of where the sllauncher.exe program will be. Since it isn’t a native 64-bit app, it will be in “Program Files (x86)” on a 64-bit machine. This sometimes can cause confusion because the %ProgramFiles% environment variable on 64-bit is the native program files directory and *not* the x86 one.

For more information, please try to refer to:
    http://timheuer.com/blog/archive/2010/03/25/using-sllauncher-for-silent-install-silverlight-application.aspx .

Best Regards,
    Amy Peng

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 8:11 AM
  • Amy, please take some time to understand problems before posting.

The question is:

How can I make the OOB installation process to point to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Silverlight\sllauncher.exe" instead of "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Silverlight\sllauncher.exe" when it installs the link on the desktop on 64 bit machines?

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 8:11 PM
  • Hi,

Please try to check the following it seems that it is not possible:
    force install to program file not x86
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9712909/windows-setup-installer-project-forcing-installation-into-program-files-not

Is there any way to force Window 7 to install a program to c:\program files .... and not C:\program files(x86)
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/is-there-any-way-to-force-window-7-to-install-a/ad0b56c3-5856-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5  .

Thanks.

Monday, March 17, 2014 11:59 AM
  • Hi,

I am sorry for the late reply.
    Could you please tell me why you want to install it to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Silverlight\sllauncher.exe" instead of "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Silverlight\sllauncher.exe"?

I will recommend that you ignore this issue, and just let it install where it wants to. It will get it right and not cause you any problems.

Because the ".EXE" files of the applications have their own flags to indicate whether they're 32- or 64-bit, so the system will recognize them properly no matter what folder they're in. You can put everything into one folder on your computer if you want. Unless you plan to install multiple versions of the same program on your computer, then one folder should work just fine.  

Best Regards,
    Amy Peng

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 7:36 AM