none
Win 8 RP + MacBook Pro + Kinect Xbox 360 - fails to initialize RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying out the Kinect SDK with the Xbox version before investing in the Windows version, but can't get the device to initialize. All of the demos say they can't find a "ready Kinect". If I unplug and try again, the initialization is attempted but fails. System settings claim the Kinect is happy, and the green light is on and flashing. Just looking for ideas to solve this before going to Win 7 (or Win 8 CP) and trying that. Anyone got Kinect happy on MacBook hardware? With Win 8 RP?

MacBook Pro early 2009, Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM,

Kinect SDK 1.5.1,

Win 8 64bit RP

Visual Studio 2010

Monday, June 25, 2012 1:33 PM

Answers

• OK I got this working now, so a quick update for anyone else with similar problems:

1. managed to get Win 8 stable, previously unusable due to freezing every few minutes - run command prompt as admin, and enter (then reboot - took 2 reboots to end freezing):

bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes   

(thanks to withinwindows.com). I also disabled Bootcamp  Nvidia screen drivers (several people found these problematic with MacBooks) and now freezing seems to have stopped completely.

2.  I noticed in the Device Manager that the Kinect USB Audio appeared under "other drivers" and not under "Sound, video and game controllers". I had to select the Kinect USB Audio and manually install a driver (choose browse, and then "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" and choose Kinect from the list). The Kinect USB Audio then moved to the correct place and now the Kinect is working fine.

Previously reinstalling the drivers had no effect - manually it fixed it.

• Marked as answer by musigui Monday, July 2, 2012 3:16 PM
    Monday, July 2, 2012 3:16 PM

All replies

• Our driver/runtime doesn't currently work running in a VM.
    You are trying with Parallels?

My impression is that people have been successful booting into windows 7 or 8 (via Bootcamp) on Mac hardware.

Thanks, Rob Relyea
    Kinect for Windows team.

Monday, June 25, 2012 7:24 PM
  • Thanks for your reply Rob. I'm not using any VM software, I'm booting natively and using Bootcamp 4 drivers. Device Manager reports the Kinect hardware present and working correctly, but no one of the examples report a ready Kinect available. Kinect Explorer shows Kinect  initialising and then Kinect not ready.

Win 8 RP 64 is rather unstable on 2009 MacBook Pros so I may have to switch to Win 7 anyway (which I've not tried yet), but frustrating not to be able to get anything working with Win 8.

Monday, June 25, 2012 9:32 PM
  • we test on Win8 RP (32 and 64) daily
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 8:39 PM
  • OK I got this working now, so a quick update for anyone else with similar problems:

1. managed to get Win 8 stable, previously unusable due to freezing every few minutes - run command prompt as admin, and enter (then reboot - took 2 reboots to end freezing):

bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes   

(thanks to withinwindows.com). I also disabled Bootcamp  Nvidia screen drivers (several people found these problematic with MacBooks) and now freezing seems to have stopped completely.

2.  I noticed in the Device Manager that the Kinect USB Audio appeared under "other drivers" and not under "Sound, video and game controllers". I had to select the Kinect USB Audio and manually install a driver (choose browse, and then "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" and choose Kinect from the list). The Kinect USB Audio then moved to the correct place and now the Kinect is working fine.

Previously reinstalling the drivers had no effect - manually it fixed it.

• Marked as answer by musigui Monday, July 2, 2012 3:16 PM
    Monday, July 2, 2012 3:16 PM