Reading .rdl file using ReportViewer RRS feed

• Question

• User966057038 posted

Hi all,

I am trying to get my SSRS Table Report (an .rdl file) to display in my ASP.Net web form using the ReportViewer control?

I have followed the steps in the Create a Basic Table Report (SSRS Tutorial) to create a table report. My table report is saved as SalesOrders.rdl. I have also successfully added a ReportViewer control to my ASP.Net web form.

Questions:

1. Should I configure ReportViewer for Local Processing or Remote Processing?

2. Either way, how do I get the ReportViewer control to read my SalesOrders.rdl file?

3. I am stuck at ReportViewer Tasks > Choose Report. I only see the option to select Server Report. What should be the report server URL? What should the Report Path be?

Thanks for the help.

Monday, June 2, 2014 12:01 AM

Answers

• User1975998971 posted

Yes, the Report Server database is its own distinct database.  It only holds the information for those reports that you want to host in a report server.  When you create the report that is where you actually point to what database you want to pull the data from.  The RDL gets stored with the Report Server database.   The Report Manager is a nice way to see those files that you stored in the Report Server.

If you want to use your report with Report Viewer or a different application, it is easiest to have a report server.

Report Server Information

Let me know if you this helps or if you have any other questions.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, June 3, 2014 2:51 PM
  • User966057038 posted

Thanks for the useful explanation. I was having difficulty accessing the Report Server URL. I was getting a permissions error. I managed to resolve this by following the instructions here. Had to launch IE as Administrator and then assign the permissions to myself.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 1:55 AM

All replies

• User1975998971 posted

If you go to the Reporting Services Configuration Manager, you should be able to go to Report Manager URL.  You will want to click on the URL and upload your RDL here.  This uploads it to the Report Server.  From there you can input your ReportServer URL which is how two and three of your questions work.  

Here are some articles about the report manager and uploading a report:

Upload Report
    Report Manager

For question one, you can use either mode, just look at the articles here: 

Remote Processing
    Local Processing

Monday, June 2, 2014 1:13 PM
  • User966057038 posted

Thanks jesalynolson. I've gone to your Upload Report and Report Manager links, but both require me to have a Report Manager URL.

So I launched my Reporting Services Configuration Manager (SQL Server 2014) and;

1. Connected to my Server (my Computer name) and Report Server Instance (SQLEXPRESS).
    2. Selected 'Database' from the left pane. Clicked button 'Change Database'.
    3. Selected 'Choose an existing report server database' (or should I choose 'Create a new report server database'?).
    4. Connected to database.
    5. For Report Server Database, I chose AdventureWorks2012, which is what my .rdl file is reading. Clicked 'Next'.
    6. I get an error: "The database you have selected is not a report server database. Please select a SQL Server database that contains report server specific tables and stored procedures and try again."

If I choose the option 'Create a new report server database', I end up creating a new database, which is separate from the AdventureWorks2012 database that my report is supposed to read off.

If I open my Report Server URL (http://computername/Reports) (where 'computername' is my Computer Name), I get an error:

"User 'mydomain\myusername' does not have required permissions. Verify that sufficient permissions have been granted and Windows User Account Control (UAC) restrictions have been addressed."

How do I generate a working Report Manager URL?

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 4:16 AM
  • User1975998971 posted

Yes, the Report Server database is its own distinct database.  It only holds the information for those reports that you want to host in a report server.  When you create the report that is where you actually point to what database you want to pull the data from.  The RDL gets stored with the Report Server database.   The Report Manager is a nice way to see those files that you stored in the Report Server.

If you want to use your report with Report Viewer or a different application, it is easiest to have a report server.

Report Server Information

Let me know if you this helps or if you have any other questions.

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 2:51 PM
  • User966057038 posted

Thanks for the useful explanation. I was having difficulty accessing the Report Server URL. I was getting a permissions error. I managed to resolve this by following the instructions here. Had to launch IE as Administrator and then assign the permissions to myself.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 1:55 AM
  • User966057038 posted

I uploaded the report (Sales Orders.rdl) using Report Manager (didn't specify any particular path). What should I set the "Report Path" to in the ASP.Net ReportViewer control? I set it as:

<ServerReport ReportServerUrl="http://servername/Reports" ReportPath="/Sales Orders" />

But when I run the app, I get the error:

The attempt to connect to the report server failed. Check your connection information and that the report server is a compatible version. The request failed with HTTP status 404: Not Found.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 3:22 AM
  • User966057038 posted

Can anyone help, please?

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 5:33 AM