Multi City Support RRS feed

• Question

• User-1391379767 posted

If i want to add the support of multicities in my classied ads website then one way is to store the city in session or cookies when user select any city. The other approaches which i saw are adding the subdomains to the site. Like olx.com.pk when i select Lahore then it changes to Lahore.olx.com.pk. I want to know what is the benefit of this approach and why most of the sites are using this apporach. How it can be done ? 

Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:00 AM

Answers

• User-952121411 posted

I want to know what is the benefit of this approach and why most of the sites are using this apporach

You could use URL Rewriting to include the city name in your URL and make it more readable to the end user. The main advantage to this method vs. hiding it behind the scenes in something like a session variable is that the URL is searchable and helps search relevancy on search engines. The session value will not help you in this matter. Things like bookmarking and organization too are advantages of modifying the URL to include your City name.

The following article might help:

Tip/Trick: Url Rewriting with ASP.NET:

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2007/02/26/tip-trick-url-rewriting-with-asp-net.aspx

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:19 PM