none
the d:\ drive disappears RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently installed a new hard drive as my D:\, it was working all hunky dory when all of the sudden it started to disappear. It has gotten so bad that it is virtually non-accessible, thus I cannot read the data in it to back it up, and neither can I write to it.

Is this a common problem to all Win7 users? Is it a new virus? Is it my computer?

Can anyone help?

In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 10:22 PM

Answers

• Hi Arbol,

I don't know if this is the ideal forum do discuss that... but anyway.

No, it's not a common problem, and it never happened to me or anyone I know.

I don't know what you mean by "virtually non-accessible", but that might indicate a problem with the drive or with the connection between the drive and the motherboard. It might also be a problem with your drivers, have you recently updated your drivers? Do you remember anything you have done in between that might influence that drive?

Consider putting the drive in an external closure (an USB external box) and try to access it that way. If you still have problems accessing it this way, it's almost sure that the drive has physical problems, is not a Windows problem neither drivers. You can even try to access it with another computer, just to be sure.

Best regards,

Fernando Rocha

• Edited by FernandoRocha Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:13 PM A little detail.
    • Marked as answer by ArbolOne Sunday, July 7, 2013 10:12 AM
    Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Arbol,

I don't know if this is the ideal forum do discuss that... but anyway.

No, it's not a common problem, and it never happened to me or anyone I know.

I don't know what you mean by "virtually non-accessible", but that might indicate a problem with the drive or with the connection between the drive and the motherboard. It might also be a problem with your drivers, have you recently updated your drivers? Do you remember anything you have done in between that might influence that drive?

Consider putting the drive in an external closure (an USB external box) and try to access it that way. If you still have problems accessing it this way, it's almost sure that the drive has physical problems, is not a Windows problem neither drivers. You can even try to access it with another computer, just to be sure.

Best regards,

Fernando Rocha

• Edited by FernandoRocha Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:13 PM A little detail.
    • Marked as answer by ArbolOne Sunday, July 7, 2013 10:12 AM
    Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:13 PM
  • This forum is for addressing Windows HCK related questions. Please try the windows forum http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

That said, it's possible that the disk might be offline. You can check the disk management snap-in to confirm if that's the case.

If you need further support, you can also try to chat with our experts: http://answerdesk.microsoftstore.com/

Thanks!

Monday, June 24, 2013 10:03 PM