none
Saving Excel Files RRS feed

• Question

• I recently installed a new computer with Windows 7 and Microsoft Home and Office 2010. My first problem is opening Excel Files created in Excel 2003 that are not "Read Only". I attempted to change out of "Compatibility Mode" but I have had no success.

Second problem is in trying to save these 2003 Files and overwrite them after adding new, additional, data. I keep getting a message saying "Cant save here. Choose another Location". However the dropdown box does not contain any locations (workbooks) that allow me to save these revised files.

I do not have this problem of saving ,and overwriting, when using Word Files.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 2:38 PM

All replies

• Answer to your first question is to use Save As and in the Save as type field select Excel Workbook (*.xlsx) or if it contains macros then select Excel Macro Enabled Workbook (*.xlsm)

Then close the workbook and re-open the saved workbook. You will still have a copy of the old *.xls file which does not get overwritten when the workbook is saved in a different format.

The second question check that the folder you are attempting to save to is not write protect. Note that to select a folder in office 2010 you need to either use the left column of the save dialog box or the top line that displays the full path where you can select any of the folders in the displayed path.

Regards, OssieMac

Monday, September 10, 2012 7:24 AM