Upgrade Windows Embedded 6.1 to Windows Phone 8.1

Question

• Hi!!

I developed a custom application in VB.NET/SQL Server CE with replication with Windows Embedded 6.1 (for Intermec CN50 terminal). Now the CN50 is not available and the customer ask me if is possible use the Lumia 535 instead of new Intermec CN51.

Is possible to upgrade the code for W.E 6.1 to W.P 8.1? I can use the SQL Server Replication in the Lumia 535

Thanks

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 9:08 AM

Answers

• As far as I know SQL Server replication is not supported on the Windows Phone platform. Given that the feature seems to have been completely removed from SQL Server 2014 I don't think we'll see it back on the phone any time soon.

You should be able to carry over much of the business logic in your VB.Net App but the whole UI definitely will need to be rewritten. Also you don't have ADO.Net on the Windows Phone platform. Either you switch to LINQ2SQL if you're doing Silverlight Apps or (and that's what I'd recommend) you use an SQLite database which is currently the only DBMS supported using the new Unified App Model for WP and Windows Store Apps.

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 11:18 AM

All replies

• As far as I know SQL Server replication is not supported on the Windows Phone platform. Given that the feature seems to have been completely removed from SQL Server 2014 I don't think we'll see it back on the phone any time soon.

You should be able to carry over much of the business logic in your VB.Net App but the whole UI definitely will need to be rewritten. Also you don't have ADO.Net on the Windows Phone platform. Either you switch to LINQ2SQL if you're doing Silverlight Apps or (and that's what I'd recommend) you use an SQLite database which is currently the only DBMS supported using the new Unified App Model for WP and Windows Store Apps.

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 11:18 AM
  • Thanks!! Very helpful!!

The replication will be removed from SQL Server 2014 with the Compact Edition (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143550.aspx)???  ahhhhhh this will be a problem for my application as currently makes extensive use of data replication. I've 10 devices that every night replicate the bidirectional data with the main server.

I hope will be another way to synchronize the devices data with the server, I don't like to create the sync process from scratch.

At the moment I stay with Windows 6.1 Embedded devices...

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 1:23 PM