Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word.dll ? (where can i get..) RRS feed

• Question

• User1075616431 posted

Hi,

I am almost ready to put my next app on the web... Word reports are a big part of it...

But the current webhost does not have/want to install word/office files on server.(GAC...)

Is it possible to just include a Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word.dll in my BIN folder?

If so, where can I find that file? (link anyone? I do not want O2003PIA.exe installation, JUST THE DLL !? can't find it anywhere)

Regards,

NNM

Friday, January 5, 2007 7:53 AM

All replies

• User-820230059 posted

I'm not sure - A moderator could probably answer you better; as they may have information they can directly access but here's my guess.

The dll is licensed with the product - you're allowed to use the dll with the product, or for "extensibility" with the product (in this case office).  I would seriously doubt you are allowed to redistribute that dll to your web application - on a host that doesnt have that product installed.  If word reports are a big part of your application, then you are basically saying that the "System Requirments" include needing word installed, so you have the dll in the GAC.

Of course this is just a guess, but my feeling is - you may need another solution, you obviously dont want anywhere you host it, to have to install word just to run you're web application...maybe you do.

As you mentioned...you're other option is to install the Microsoft Primary Interop Assemblies - which are available for download for this reason.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa159923(office.11).aspx

You can find information about it at that link.

Friday, January 5, 2007 9:17 AM
  • User1651409590 posted

Hi

Did you find solution for that.

I am facing the same problem, and I do not know if I am allowed to distribute the dll with my application.

Thanks

Salman

Thursday, March 19, 2009 4:52 AM
  • User1075616431 posted

I have no idea if you can or not...

In my case, I just made a vb class that doesn't require any server side dll files.

Two, actually: one for office2003+ (write in wordml) or old versions (write in html)..

Downside: client (user) has to have office on his computer.

Friday, March 20, 2009 7:59 AM
  • User-1789103342 posted

open a new test project.

In your solution explorer right click on the project name > click on Add Reference > .Net Tab > Select "Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word" (version 11 for 2003) and say ok

Open a new file and type

Imports Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word

It should work

Thursday, April 2, 2009 4:34 PM
  • User1075616431 posted

But is it (legally) allowed?

It gives your application the power to generate MS word documents.. Does it need it's own license, or..?!

Friday, April 3, 2009 3:40 AM
  • User-1386145889 posted

It only gives your application the power to talk to an existing MS Word installation to generate documents.  You need to have a licensed copy of MS Word installed on any computer you want this to work for. 

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 6:30 PM