Shortcut in Settings Menu RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have a background process program which runs in parallel to a GUI application in our suite. This background process takes care of synchronizing data between the handheld client and a web service. While a user could access their program directly to view synchronization or force it, typically a user would never need to see it. As such, we want to avoid putting access to it in the Programs view in Windows Mobile, and are considering instead putting a Shortcut to it in the Settings view, most likely the "System" or "Connections" tab. Is there a way, with a VS2005 Smart Client CAB Project, to identify that you want a shortcut placed in the Settings view, rather than the Programs view?

Thanks,

Andy

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 4:35 PM

Answers

•  

Andy,

In the File System [view] of your Smart Client CAB project, right-click on File System on Target Machine.  From the context menu that appears, select Add Special Folder -> Start Menu Folder.  After this has been added, right-click on Start Menu Folder and select Add Folder. Name the folder Settings.  Select (click) the Settings folder.  In the right pane, right-click and select Create New Shortcut from the context menu.  Point this shortcut the appropriate location for the .exe.    

The above approach will add a shortcut to the System tab of the Settings view.

-Nino

Thursday, December 6, 2007 3:28 PM

All replies

•  

Andy,

In the File System [view] of your Smart Client CAB project, right-click on File System on Target Machine.  From the context menu that appears, select Add Special Folder -> Start Menu Folder.  After this has been added, right-click on Start Menu Folder and select Add Folder. Name the folder Settings.  Select (click) the Settings folder.  In the right pane, right-click and select Create New Shortcut from the context menu.  Point this shortcut the appropriate location for the .exe.    

The above approach will add a shortcut to the System tab of the Settings view.

-Nino

Thursday, December 6, 2007 3:28 PM
  •  

Thanks for your help Nino!

It appears that you also need to do a soft reset to the device after the install for the shortcut to appear. Once I did that, I started to see my shortcut. Thanks again!

Andy

Friday, December 7, 2007 9:29 PM
  • I also needed to do the same. Thanks Nino for your help. Is there anyway we can create a shortcut under "Connection" Tab?..............

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 4:52 AM