Snap view mandatory for app submission?

Question

• I was reading the Snap and Fill view guidelines and I see this:

"Because users can snap every app, you should design your app for the snapped view state. If you don't, the system resizes your app anyway and might crop your content or add scrollbars.

This sounds like snap view is optional if you don't want Win8 to do it for you (and probably will look bad).

But then, I see this in the forum from a MSFT employee:

"Remember you are required to provide a Snap view to get into the store.

Microsoft

So...are the snap and fill view mandatory for entering the metro store?

Thanks.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 11:35 PM

Answers

• See the Windows 8 app certification requirements:

3.6 Your app must use the mechanisms provided by the system for those features that have them

Your app must support a snapped layout. In landscape orientation, your app’s functions must be fully accessible when the app’s display size is 1024 x 768. Your app must remain functional when the customer snaps and unsnaps the app.

Your snapped view doesn't have to be complicated, but it needs to work and be clear that the app isn't broken. Great apps will provide useful functionality in their snapped view.

--Rob

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 12:03 AM

All replies

• See the Windows 8 app certification requirements:

3.6 Your app must use the mechanisms provided by the system for those features that have them

Your app must support a snapped layout. In landscape orientation, your app’s functions must be fully accessible when the app’s display size is 1024 x 768. Your app must remain functional when the customer snaps and unsnaps the app.

Your snapped view doesn't have to be complicated, but it needs to work and be clear that the app isn't broken. Great apps will provide useful functionality in their snapped view.

--Rob

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 12:03 AM
  • Thanks for clarifying this.

Cheers,

Euge.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 12:43 AM