What is the Best 2D/3D CAD Program for DirectX?

Question

• Okay. I realize that if I asked this kind of question on StackOverflow [1] I would probably be shutdown in a matter of minutes; however, this isn't StackOverflow and I hope for some guidance. Can some volunteers please give me pointers and supporting information regarding the following?:

1. What is your favorite free 2D CAD program for sketching DirectX geometries and why?
    2. What is your favorite free 3D CAD program for creating DirectX meshes and why?
    3. What is your favorite paid 2D CAD program for sketching DirectX geometries and why?
    4. What is your favorite paid 3D CAD program for creating DirectX meshes and why?

Notes:

1. I looked around on Bing a bit but none of the free products seemed to strike my fancy. Also, I would rather not get started on a trial version of some highly expensive program and thereby develop an addiction to something my family can not currently afford.
    2. I had used CAD software on Windows 95 years ago when I was a student but now that I am not in school, I no longer have access to such software.
    3. Questions that are reasonably prompt and thoughtful may be up voted at the discretion of myself and other forum participants assuming this thread isn't the victim of a terminal "off topic" redirection.

[1] - For some reason "opinion" questions are strongly discouraged in StackOverflow...

Thanks for the Help,

Shawn

• Changed type Shawn Eary Friday, October 21, 2011 3:17 AM Someone Answered My Discussion
    Monday, October 10, 2011 9:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Shawn,

You may get more exposure on the Direct 3D forums!

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/directx/bb896725

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 4:39 PM
  • Ok.   Sorry about that.  Feel free to move this post or retire it.  If worse comes to worse, I suppose I could throw my own 2D Object sketcher together.  3D would take a bit more time.
    • Edited by Shawn Eary Wednesday, October 12, 2011 1:24 AM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 1:22 AM
  • This is a Direct 3D forum :)

I think we would love to see discussion like this here, although Jeff is right that you will see more traction in the established forums. This one is just getting off the ground, and it is aimed at Metro style DirectX development.

Friday, October 14, 2011 11:01 PM
  • It's tangential to what you're actually asking, but I want to give a shot out to one of the cool new features of Dev11:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh315737(v=VS.110).aspx

I would love to see thoughts and feedback on this new tooling. 

• Marked as answer by Shawn Eary Friday, October 21, 2011 3:17 AM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 11:05 PM
  • This is a Direct 3D forum :)
    Well, from the title "Building Metro style games with DirectX" I would have assumed that 2D games were also open for discussion; however, I suppose one would realize that a web developer like myself wanting to create a 2D game should just stick with Silverlight/JavaScript and HTML5 and be done with it. Given the fact that Windows 8 (or whatever it will be called) supports quality 2D via Silverlight/JavaScript and HTML5, it would seem that DirectX Metro Games are implicitly 3D so to that effect I was a bit off.   While you "can" create a C++ 2D Metro Game for DirectX, I suppose most people are wondering why anyone would do so.  I got started trying to learn Direct2D because I thought it would help me learn Direct3D, but that doesn't necessarily seem to be the case.  In fact, Direct2D "seems" to have a few limitations such that I would be better off just writing my 2D game in Direct3D mode and simply setting the camera at a fixed position with all of my objects operating in a single plane.  I'm guessing such an approach would allow me to achieve the effect of a 2D game but allow me to use hardware accelerated dynamic lighting for cool effects.   Maybe dynamic lighting is available in Direct2D, but since I am new to all of this I don't know how to access it yet.
    I think we would love to see discussion like this here, although Jeff is right that you will see more traction in the established forums.
    Well I looked at the forum mentioned by Jeff and I honestly prefer the MSDN and StackOverflow forums. While it's true that I tend to get blown away with -1 votes on SO, I still have to admire the efficiency at which it operates.
    This one is just getting off the ground, and it is aimed at Metro style DirectX development.
    You are right. My question was waaaay out of the ballpark, but your post about the new Visual Studio 11 (vNext) tools is quite encouraging. I looked at the link briefly and noticed that vNext seems to allow me to create an brand new FBX file. This is absolutely awesome!!! When I finally get transitioned to 3D, it should allow me to get started drawing very basic meshes without having to make excessive use of equations to model primitives or spend extra money (outside of an Visual Studio 11 license).

Thanks!!!

Shawn
    BTW: I'm just playing with DirectX for fun and I have a day job/family so I don't always get back as often as I should. That might be a good thing for the moderators of this forum since I like to yack a lot...

• Edited by Shawn Eary Friday, October 21, 2011 2:57 AM
    Friday, October 21, 2011 2:47 AM
  • It's tangential to what you're actually asking, but I want to give a shot out to one of the cool new features of Dev11:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh315737(v=VS.110).aspx

I would love to see thoughts and feedback on this new tooling.

While I had heard rumors that VS11 had new tools for Game Developers, I didn't know the extent of those new tools.  While I am a total beginner at this 3D Game Development stuff, I am quite pleased that Visual Studio contains basic tools for Mesh Development out of the box.  I want to thank Mr. Strayer for pointing this out to me.   The tool makes it easy to put primitives into the world and apply basic skins.  I am also impressed with the fact that the scripts used to generate the primitives are written in JavaScript thereby making potential customization easy.  It will certainly be interesting to look into possibly creating new primitives using the JavaScript API provided. 

I would point out, however, that even though I am a web developer by trade, I tend to despise the lack of security, const-correctness and typesafety in JavaScript and almost wish that Microsoft had considered the more superior F# language for scripting [1] in the VS11 FBX generation tool.   I suppose Microsoft choose JavaScript because they figured it would be easier for more people to pick up, but I tend to think that JavaScript needs to die and be replaced by F# and SilverLight...

Yes, I am off topic again.  Stack Overflow would toast me for that...

With Appreciation :-) !!!

Shawn

[1] - PowerShell might have also been a good option for the FBX Scripting.

• Edited by Shawn Eary Friday, October 21, 2011 3:31 AM
    Friday, October 21, 2011 3:27 AM